No announcement yet.

heads up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it has something to do with the viscous fans and the small overcrowded engine bay, those big chunky blades can't be pulling sufficient air through the rads. Anyone know what the cfm ratings are?

The 16" electric fans I use on the Lexurf conversions are rated at 3630cfm. and cover three quaters of a 2.4 radiator. As soon as they kick in, the rad cools down almost instantly (You can see the temp drop on the gauge). There's not enough space between the V8 and the rad to use the Lexus viscous fan.

Who's gonna try one on their diesel truck? Remove the viscous fan and fit a thermostatically controlled electric one with a shroud.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

Who's gonna try one on their diesel truck? Remove the viscous fan and fit a thermostatically controlled electric one with a shroud.
      If you're supplying it, I'll fit it happily!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The shroud also makes a difference!
        I've removed part of the shroud because of my body lift. I wonder if this is attributing to my temp increase.

Is everyone running a shroud?
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Personally I think the main problems with the 2.4 are :

1) the engine is underpowered for the weight of the surf, causing it to work hard all the time.

2) the radiator is too small for sufficient cooling in high ambient temps.

3)the autobox runs ###### hot too affecting the rad in extreme situations.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

Vince there's loads of posts here saying not to lose the viscous fan. I kind of agree with them as the electric fan setup is more likely to cause the engine to constantly heat up, cool down when fan kicks in, then heat up etc....

The viscous fan should in theory be able to keep the temp more stable as the clutch tightens progressively with heat.

That said I'd love to lose the viscous fan and use a big fan as it seems 'right'

Does anyone do a progressive setup for an electric fan where it comes on slowly at say 92 degrees, goes medium speed at 96 degrees, and full chat at 99 degrees (just guessing the temps) ? That would be a good solution.

Comment

It would be a gradual cool down and heat up though as the coolant is still circulating if the engine is running.
              It can't be any worse than the standard set-up IMO.

The progressive option could easily be achieved with a couple of relays and resistors.
              Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 15 August 2010, 00:37.

Comment

I've had my 2.4 since it was imported in2003. In late 2004 or 2005 (I can't remember which at present) my stat jammed shut and she overheated, I thought I might have got away with it. But the next May when towing in Scotland.
                At the rime she was unmoddified, and a garage had had alot of my money to carry out full servicing (some of which was latter to be found not done, hence why I do nearly all of the work myself now).

I think it really is luck of the draw, as we can not fully know then complete history of our trucks.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

FACT then possibly fiction...

had the surf 2 -3 weeks, anything over 75 mph had the temp dial heading north, if I dropped off, it would return in seconds.
                  Oil pressure drops with no revs (don't know if this is always the case)
                  No mud in rad, vehicle was steam cleaned when i bought it.
                  hottish day after giving it a few beans (by no means thrashing it) saw steam from pressurised coolant. You know the rest.
                  New head, 3 of 4 valves were cracked, mechanic reckons it's had a new rad.

Okay now for speculation.
                  Spotlights? Where does the air go after it hits them?
                  Crud, I can accept, but you would see it on the dial?
                  Long hills and towing - come on! This is what these vehicles were built for!
                  2.4 is underpowered........yes but mine is a 3.0 and went.

My Q is, what are the ignition temps in the cylinder? bear in mind that these are only a few mm away from the cooling channels, running at 90 ish degrees. With coolant and a pressurised system, coolant should be good for over 100*.
                  My gut is that its just a longevity thing. too much combustion heat, too close to a cooling channel.And the deterioration is OVER A LONG PERIOD. Mine did over 130k miles before it went. If I get that out of the new head I'll be very happy.
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Ok, more 90 degree temps mentioned, I've just finished work and taken a long way round to get home and never made it past 80 degrees and with no one on the roads at this time I was able to errrr, press on shall we say. I'm just not reaching the sort of temps mentioned here, am going to take a good look on monday/tuesday to see if I can figure it out, it may be that it's a faulty gauge and I am actually going to 90 but if not then the answer may well help a few people here.
                    Neal

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      If you're supplying it, I'll fit it happily!

In the interest of science you'll need more than one test subject, I'll try one for you too!
                      “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

If you put a Kenlowe (type) fan on your truck - what temperature would you set the thermostat switch to come on at?

Comment

so just to recap and in no perticular order.when you buy your surf,no matter what has been said by the previous owner you should.

1.flush the cooling system.
                          2.check/change thermostat.
                          3.check/change rad cap.
                          4. check cooling system for corroded pipework.
                          5.check rear mounted heater (if fitted).
                          6.check viscous coupling on fan.
                          7.fit a stand alone tranny cooler (if auto.)
                          8.check radiator for blockages and leaks.
                          9.check/change water pump.

im not saying doing these checks and carrying out the work will stop the head from cracking.but as a general guide to those without any previous knowledge of the vehicles.it might help.any more thought guys.
                          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                            so just to recap and in no perticular order.when you buy your surf,no matter what has been said by the previous owner you should.

1.flush the cooling system.
                            2.check/change thermostat.
                            3.check/change rad cap.
                            4. check cooling system for corroded pipework.
                            5.check rear mounted heater (if fitted).
                            6.check viscous coupling on fan.
                            7.fit a stand alone tranny cooler (if auto.)
                            8.check radiator for blockages and leaks.
                            9.check/change water pump.

im not saying doing these checks and carrying out the work will stop the head from cracking.but as a general guide to those without any previous knowledge of the vehicles.it might help.any more thought guys.
                            How about making this a sticky thread, possibly entitled: when you buy your surf, advice for new owners!

Comment

Ahem....
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                                ...im not saying doing these checks and carrying out the work will stop the head from cracking....
                                Good, or people will get the hump with you when they flush the radseal out of their new truck and it overheats next motorway trip!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                                X