No announcement yet.

Highest mileage surf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my friends used to work for the Daily Telegraph in the days when threre was a London and Manchester print run. They had a Mk 4 Cortina which did that journey 4 times a day, every day. Did something like 5000 miles a week. They usually got about 18 months out of the cars which totalled about 350,000 miles. That was in the days when most everyday cars were heading to the scrapper at about 70k.

Comment

I would have to say that the toughest and most reliable vehicle I can possibly come up with is a solid axle early 80's hilux pickup with 5 speed and 22R carb motor. Here they last longer than diesels because they will start in the true bitter cold and they run forever. I would pick that vehicle over any other vehicle to trust to take me anywhere in the world. Not fast or classy but damn good vehicles.

Comment

245K kms on my 2.4. Had her for about 7 years now and still on the head she was imported with.

Spoggle

Comment

My 3.0 has done 247.000 km and seems to be ok at the mo......

I hope I haven't just spoken to soon
          If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Comment

My 3rd gen is at 285,000km (177,000 miles)...nearly time for a fourth cambelt!

Comment

My 3rd Gen is on 249,439 miles. 3rd head though. She won't be doing any more for a while after a bit of high speed unscheduled off roading yesterday.
              Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

my 2nd gen 1kz is just about to hit 104,XXX km's, all stock (engine wise), except replaced the injector pump ( thanks stormforce) and need to do the valve cover gasket- the new one is currently sitting in the glove box, just need to get it into the shop to replace

Comment

My s class 5ltr merc done 275,000mls with NO breakdowns or any replacement parts other than normal servicing.... No engine work.. Still drove like new till I gave it to one of my drivers who wrote it off!! ...
                  .... Which was nice.

Comment

My trucks coming up to 187,000kms so she seems to be ok it does look like it's had a head but not by me so i don't know apart from that i fitted a rad and an injection pump as mine was leaking on a side plate so stormy (again) saved the day lol I did the seals and have kept the pump as a spare for when the one thats fitted starts leaking...wvo = seal killer on that comment though does anyone know where viton seals can be obtained?
                    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Mine's done 180,000km although had head replaced just before I bought her. That's only about 112,000 miles. I thought that was no distance at all until I started reading this thread. Are the engines really that bad? That should be hardly run in for a big diesel! I did have a Mercedes 2.5D E Class (W124 model) that had 350,000 miles on it and only needed a bottom end rebuild at 200,000. Drove like a dream. I think they were the last model that Mercedes pretty much built themselves (everything had Mercedes stamped on it), after that they started buying in parts and their reliability took a hit. It's probably still going strong.

Comment

I had a mercedes e320 sportline with 154,000mls and that didn't use any fluids apart from a LOT of petrol but the right foot was the problem there
                        Went like stink as well for a big estate which made it impossible for the tanker to keep up with it i couldn't pass a fuel pump without using it
                        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Saab1 currently has 150k on it
                          Just sold Saab 2 with 164k on it
                          Surf has 190km on it.
                          Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

How about highest mileage Gen 3 cylinder head? My Surf so far has 168,000 km on it an is on the original head to my knowledge. Hope it stays that way for a while too!!

Cheers

Ben

Comment

190 so far, then.

[touches wood] :pause:
                              Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

235,602kms on my 1995 3litre manual until the clocks broke now an 2nd hand set with 134,600kms.
                                Attached Files
                                Live Life To The Full

Comment

Working...
                                X