Intercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
    Why would you need your intercooler to be getting really cold when you're not moving anyway?
    Hot bank holiday start-stop-start traffic? Trying to tow up a steep hill? Increased power for off-roading?

I thought the whole idea of an intercooler was to get more oxygen into the combustion chamber to improve the combustion process. I don't see why that would be different whether you're stationary, just about to start moving or blasting along the motorway.

Just a thought, thats all...

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
      Hot bank holiday start-stop-start traffic? Trying to tow up a steep hill? Increased power for off-roading?

I thought the whole idea of an intercooler was to get more oxygen into the combustion chamber to improve the combustion process. I don't see why that would be different whether you're stationary, just about to start moving or blasting along the motorway.

Just a thought, thats all...
      It needs some sort of airflow over it, otherwise the heatsoak from the engine would render it useless.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        It needs some sort of airflow over it, otherwise the heatsoak from the engine would render it useless.
        Exactly why I suggested running the fan on the ignition rather than just on the turbo boost.

Comment

I have been thinking about a water mist of some sort, but to be honest you would need to carry quite a large ammount of water (tank) for it to work, especially on a decent run,
          my fan just runs through the ign (unlike the dual back up fans which run on a constant feed, and are completly controlled by the temp sensor) on a hot day the intercooler fan comes on as the sun/hot weather brings the outside temp above 40deg, once the temp hits 40 the fan is on constantly, seems to work ok, being such a large intercooler rad made the fan fitting easy, only drawback is topping up engine oil, i had to make up a remote filling tube which is accessed just in front of the cooler, (small rubber bung) takes a bit longer to fill but it works ok,
          the water idea would be good IF you could collect it and return it to a tank for cooling, even thought of encaseing the rad in a water, sort of fit a tank round it but too many probs so sod it, any thoughts on refridgeration in the air flow??? any possibilitys?
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Water mist works best in cool airflow also, but will improve things even with no airflow. As Ian says, you'd need a lot of it in this application.

You can reduce the amount you need by increasing the volatility of the coolant spray, and mixing in a bit of methanol. My mate use to do it with his MR2 turbo and it made quite a difference.

With the turbo diesel, returns will be fairly minimal though.

Front mount is the way to go, rather than fannying around with various complex methods of cooling the top mount interwarmer.

You know what *might* work? Toyota's own chargecooler off a GT-Four. The coolant tank sits above the engine, where you'd conventionally put the top mount interwarmer, in a position 90 degrees to that in the Celica. This gives you the nice short air path from turbo to intake and thus less lag, then you route the coolant pipes down to a front mount rad. There's loads of space to mount the coolant pump.

Might be a golden solution, and when I get another Surf, I might try that
            Last edited by Apache; 13 July 2010, 10:35.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

air con
              and coil out off a jet washer
              put the coil in to were ya want it cold join it to the air con
              or use a deumidifier eliment they make ice
              fit anything like that to a coil pipe and ya laffin

propain
              snorkel
              nice boost
              am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                air con
                and coil out off a jet washer
                put the coil in to were ya want it cold join it to the air con
                or use a deumidifier eliment they make ice
                fit anything like that to a coil pipe and ya laffin

propain
                snorkel
                nice boost
                I thought about that too George, but you're bound to use up more power getting the air con gas cold than you're going to gain cooling the intercooler.

Comment

Yep.

Conservation of Energy comes into play if you think of an engine as a lossy closed loop. You will expend more energy trying to cool the intercooler than you'll gain from doing it.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                    I thought about that too George, but you're bound to use up more power getting the air con gas cold than you're going to gain cooling the intercooler.
                    if its just for the boost
                    propain injection
                    but i have no idea if its legal
                    can of lighter fuel aint much try it in bursts tho
                    never spary for a long time
                    2.4's aint that powerfull to start with
                    they over heat if you spary to long?
                    and pop ya rad
                    in burst tho it fine ish
                    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Just fit a V8, sorted!