my rear brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
    Absolutely - all it takes is a bit of air to go the other way to the "weep" and you're in brown trouser land... (or much MUCH worse)
    Will get them done as soon my bank balance allows it!!

I generally thought that a "weep" was nothing too sinister, but thinking about it, I guess it could allow a little air to go back into the system.

On the other hand, I have seen and worked on completly dripping wet contaminated rear brake shoes, with brake fluid absolutley p1551ng out, but yet the rest of the braking system worked fine, and no air had backed into the system.
    Last edited by ronsarrox; 26 May 2010, 21:33.
    Keep On Truckin!

Comment

Originally posted by yogigypsy View Post
      Will get them done as soon my bank balance allows it!!

I generally thought that a "weep" was nothing too sinister, but thinking about it, I guess it could allow a little air to go back into the system.

On the other hand, I have seen and worked on completly dripping wet contaminated rear brake shoes, with brake fluid absolutley p1551ng out, but yet the rest of the braking system worked fine, and no air had backed into the system.
      I was driving my dad's Mondeo a few weeks ago when the brake pads suddenly decided to crumble into nothingness. Cue brown trouser moment from brake failure!

Thankfully I was a big enough distance behind the car in front to come to rest with the tiny amount of braking ability left and I drove extremely carefully to the local garage to get them sorted.

My dad was actually in the passenger seat at the time (he doesn't drive much these days due to disability) and it gave him a bit of a fright when I told him the brakes weren't working!

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
        Nope not disappeared it's here

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=63347

I'll let you decide the answer to the 1st part of the question
        Cheers, i decided i am going gaga, i forgot what the thread was called

any wetness/dampness on the cylinder rubbers is bad news, it's only going to get worse, i'd replace the cylinders and shoes while you got it stripped,
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I hate to say it but albanach's right, brakes arnt ment to leak or weep if they do it aint right, the motor should be off the road untill the wallet can cope - if it isnt, with you knowing there is a fault, then I'm sorry but you should be ashamed of yourself - you own a 2 ton killing machine! and it would appear after seeing the state of your fronts you dont seem to be aware of strange noises on what you are driving or their concequenses - for gods sake wake up and be aware - ignorence is not an argument (especially in a coroners court)
          Last edited by fatfires; 27 May 2010, 18:06.
          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
          Tony

Comment

I'm going to dissagree slightly, I know what you're all getting at, techniacally its correct, but in the real world give him a break, most people never notice when the rear breaks arn't working at all, 50% of trucks I see are covered in diff oil from worn seals, or mud, and the only time you notice with when it gets a rubbish reading on the MOT rollers.

Most people only realise the rears arn't working when you get a zero reading at MOT time.

A minorly leaky rear wheel cylinder will never catastropically fail, especially one with just a drip in the rubbers, it just gets slowely worse till the low fluid level warning light comes on, going by that pic its not going to empty the reservoir over night, or even in months.

This is assuming is JUST a drip caught it the rubbers when you move the pistons.

Judging by the you shoes are quite low at the lower traling and leading edges, they could with changing to.

Fix it next pay packet, and you'll be fine, just don't ignore it longer than really neccesary.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
              I'm going to dissagree slightly, I know what you're all getting at, techniacally its correct, but in the real world give him a break, most people never notice when the rear breaks arn't working at all, 50% of trucks I see are covered in diff oil from worn seals, or mud, and the only time you notice with when it gets a rubbish reading on the MOT rollers.

Most people only realise the rears arn't working when you get a zero reading at MOT time.

A minorly leaky rear wheel cylinder will never catastropically fail, especially one with just a drip in the rubbers, it just gets slowely worse till the low fluid level warning light comes on, going by that pic its not going to empty the reservoir over night, or even in months.

This is assuming is JUST a drip caught it the rubbers when you move the pistons.

Judging by the you shoes are quite low at the lower traling and leading edges, they could with changing to.

Fix it next pay packet, and you'll be fine, just don't ignore it longer than really neccesary.
              Thankyou Tony, You have said exactly was I was just going to.

It is JUST a drip caught it the rubbers when you move the pistons. like you said many many motorists are unaware that they have leaky cylinders untill they take car for MOT or service, or visually see wetness around the back plate/axle or in extreme cases on the wheel/tyre or when the brake fluid level has dropped and set of the warning light.

I understand everyones comments and concerns, but I wish they all would just lay off a little, I have worked on many cars in the past, for quite a few garages, and nearly everyone WOULD NOT RERPLACE A DRIPPING/WEEPING CYLINDER, they would advise the customer to come back for a FREE BRAKE INSPECTION IN 3 MONTHS, and then re-assess the situation, and 9times out of 10, the cylinders would be dripping/weeping no more than what they did on the intial check. They then would be advised to come back in another 3 months for another check.

You can not tell me that this procedure is WRONG OR UNSAFE OR STUPID OR UNETHICAL OR WHATEVER WORDS YOU CHOOSE TO USE, as I know for fact, MAIN DEALERS WOULD NOT ADVISE SOMETHING IF IT WAS UNSAFE OR WHATEVER!!!!

Nuff said.

Like I said before, I shall get them replaced when I can afford it. (Cyls and shoes)
              Keep On Truckin!

Comment

Working...
              X