the 3.0 is the same as the 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the 3.0 is the same as the 2.4

Previous owner of my 2.4 fitted a cone style air filter, which we decided would be a lot better fitted directly onto the turbo inlet. After this we noticed you could hear the turbo working and the waste gate opening when lifted off.
    The 3.0's the same. I'm out to get a cone shaped filter that will sit nicely tucked away in the bonnet somewhere

Fitting an intercooler somewhere too
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Out of curiosity - do you mean something like this:

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=1241

Comment

Yes
      Although K&N are usually expensive, I think other filter manufacturers do just as well...
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

turbo on the 3.0l sits down in the bay, no chance of bolting straight on the front of the housing. You can fit on the other side of the engine where the original air box is. I've done this with a BCM carbon filter, with the intake hose taking air from just under the scuttle panel to allow for some paddling

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
          Previous owner of my 2.4 fitted a cone style air filter, which we decided would be a lot better fitted directly onto the turbo inlet. After this we noticed you could hear the turbo working and the waste gate opening when lifted off.
          The 3.0's the same. I'm out to get a cone shaped filter that will sit nicely tucked away in the bonnet somewhere

Fitting an intercooler somewhere too

Hmmm, an air filter right next to the hottest park of the engine???

Hook it up to a CAI system and forget the intercooler.

Comment

It will fit down there. It wont be the same as on the 2.4 but it will sit higher up than where the turbo is.
            CAI is this cold air induction? Suppose it's better than an Inter-warmer
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

as vince said no point in fitting a performance air filter under the bonnet especially by the turbo unless you direct cold air to it first.been there done that and apart from the chattering of the waste gate,on a manual,theres no extra power,so total waste of money.imho.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Shame...

I have a K&N cone in the shed I was about to flog 'im
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I'm still going to do it I know it's warmer in there than outside but I can mitigate that by other means.
                  End of the day it's all fun
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I'm still going to do it I know it's warmer in there than outside but I can mitigate that by other means.
                    End of the day it's all fun
                    Fitting an intercooler would be a total waste of time, if you're going to fit the filter directly to the turbo.

I think you've been reading too many brrrm, tish forums.

Comment

It wont be really. As I said I can mitigate any warm air in the engine bay.
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

You're doing the opposite of what I'm doing then.

I'm removing the big Apexi cone filter which draws nice hot air from the baking hot engine bay in the GT4 and replacing it with the original airbox fitted with a decent panel filter which draws cold air from the front of the car.

Basically, for most applications, cone filters are a huge waste of money simply to get induction roar noise (which gets boring as quickly as the 'pshhhh!!!' from an atmospheric dump valve!)
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

I'm removing the big Apexi cone filter which draws nice hot air from the baking hot engine bay in the GT4 and replacing it with the original airbox fitted with a decent panel filter which draws cold air from the front of the car.

Basically, for most applications, cone filters are a huge waste of money simply to get induction roar noise (which gets boring as quickly as the 'pshhhh!!!' from an atmospheric dump valve!)
                          Dont know about that.
                          I still giggle every time I drive the Mrs's Saxo with one on.
                          but then again, I like the Pshhh, when I hear one.
                          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

I'd be interested to know how you get on with that. I do like a bit of noise. I don't ever seem to get bored with that.
                            Does your GTfour have a standard IC? Can you not run a cold air feed onto your cone? Think about surface area when you fit the panel filter. Depending on how you use your car you might not notice any difference.
                            I suppose the pro's and cons are more airflow but the air is warmer, or slightly more restriction but cooler denser air.
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I'd be interested to know how you get on with that. I do like a bit of noise. I don't ever seem to get bored with that.
                              Does your GTfour have a standard IC? Can you not run a cold air feed onto your cone? Think about surface area when you fit the panel filter. Depending on how you use your car you might not notice any difference.
                              I suppose the pro's and cons are more airflow but the air is warmer, or slightly more restriction but cooler denser air.

Roughtrax or Stevo are the people to contact when your head cracks.

Comment

Working...
                              X