yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2" suss lift kit - panard rod, extended break lines or axle spacers also required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache View Post
    A more sensible option is manual hubs. Means you keep your diff nice and high, but stop your front shafts turning when up and down the motorway. Bingo - best of both worlds.
    :nods:

But I think I charged him about £20 for the spacer, instead of £150 for the hubs!

But the hubs are more desirable long term than the panhard rod, and the spacer is more of a over 1 1/2" of front lift thing. I'd rather keep the pinion angles stock unless tearing CV's starts to become a big issue, but it won't with under 2" of lift.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
      :nods:

But I think I charged him about £20 for the spacer, instead of £150 for the hubs!

But the hubs are more desirable long term than the panhard rod, and the spacer is more of a over 1 1/2" of front lift thing. I'd rather keep the pinion angles stock unless tearing CV's starts to become a big issue, but it won't with under 2" of lift.
      Mine was eating boots - pinching slits in them in 3 equally spaced places... Wound the bars down a bit, sorted. Limitations of shitty short wishbones eh?
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

If you dont wind your torsion bars too much, it'll be fine. If you do, you'll suffer excess CV joint / boot wear.

A more sensible option is manual hubs. Means you keep your diff nice and high, but stop your front shafts turning when up and down the motorway. Bingo - best of both worlds.
        The Roughtrax kit has extended torsion bars - will this negate the CV joint/boot problems?

Comment

Nope. The roughtrax bars are thicker so need less tension to give the same lift. Same problems as regards CVs. Just dont overdo it, they'll be fine.

Comment

If you dont wind your torsion bars too much, it'll be fine. If you do, you'll suffer excess CV joint / boot wear.

Can you fill me in on manual hubs Apache in lehmans terms - what are they, what they do, how they fitted, how much they cost....and where i such a thing from.

roughtrax torsion bar already on way, so if i get that fitted along with the hubs everything should be sweet?

Comment

Nope. The roughtrax bars are thicker so need less tension to give the same lift. Same problems as regards CVs. Just dont overdo it, they'll be fine.
              Cool. Thanks for that

Can't afford to do it at the mo but I'm intending to do a 2" suspension lift and 2" body lift when funds allow it.

As a bit of a novice I'd be looking to spend the best part of a weekend doing each lift one at a time (spreads the cost out that way too!). Does that sound about right time-wise? Ta.

Comment

The CV problems are due to the length of the shafts and wishbones, they are a set length, so for every 1" of lift, the angle the CV run at increases, they run best straight.

The diff spacer lowers the rear of the diff, so decreasing the angle of the shafts

Locking front hubs lets you disengage the front shafts, so they don't turn at all, you lock them to go offroading, which is an insignificant about of miles in reality so wear on CV's and boots becomes negligable.

The CV's are inherantly weak at full lock, so if its lifted more than 1 1/2" they are running at quite an angle even in a straight line, so front locking diffs arn't a great idea in IFS trucks (any, not just Toyota) and should try not to give it to much welly on full lock anyway, the diff spacer does help in this regard, but it also ruins the pinion angles of the front prop a little, and does lower the back of the diff, meaning you have more chance of whacking it offroad.

Everything you alter has repercussions, the clever bit of modifing trucks is getting the right compromise across the board depending on what you want out of the truck.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  The CV problems are due to the length of the shafts and wishbones, they are a set length, so for every 1" of lift, the angle the CV run at increases, they run best straight.

The diff spacer lowers the rear of the diff, so decreasing the angle of the shafts

Locking front hubs lets you disengage the front shafts, so they don't turn at all, you lock them to go offroading, which is an insignificant about of miles in reality so wear on CV's and boots becomes negligable.

The CV's are inherantly weak at full lock, so if its lifted more than 1 1/2" they are running at quite an angle even in a straight line, so front locking diffs arn't a great idea in IFS trucks (any, not just Toyota) and should try not to give it to much welly on full lock anyway, the diff spacer does help in this regard, but it also ruins the pinion angles of the front prop a little, and does lower the back of the diff, meaning you have more chance of whacking it offroad.

Everything you alter has repercussions, the clever bit of modifing trucks is getting the right compromise across the board depending on what you want out of the truck.
                  now that you have the know how happy surfing its not all
                  S S R G is the only way to surf

scottish mud club member kerelawsurf

Comment

Its never all doom and gloom.

Even if you do wind your torsion bars so much they eventually explode, 2nd hand drive shafts are cheap!

Tony, the other reason CVs dont wear as much offroad even at extreme angles is the speed is much lower. Turning a CV with big angles at speed is disproportionally harder on it than the same angle at much lower speed.

Finding this out on our rolling road at work which uses CVs to link across the driveshafts to the rollers which are floating for self alignment. They last much longer when vehicles running at low speed!

Comment

SAS it problems solved.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by stewcowie View Post
                        Can you fill me in on manual hubs Apache in lehmans terms - what are they, what they do, how they fitted, how much they cost....and where i such a thing from.

roughtrax torsion bar already on way, so if i get that fitted along with the hubs everything should be sweet?
                        Take a run over to mine one sunday and I will talk you through all the options, before you start spending cash.
                        I can also show you a number of lift mods fitted.
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                          Take a run over to mine one sunday and I will talk you through all the options, before you start spending cash.
                          I can also show you a number of lift mods fitted.
                          cheers yoshie. kit is already ordered and will have it fitted this week. had it serviced the other week and was told should replace the shocks and springs anyway, so decided to go for the lift at same time as will def be going proper off road in it - my mate at work in aberdeen is right into his trials and has been trying to get me along in the surf for ages. i may still come see you though once its done and you could show me round drumclog? where bouts r u?

think i will get the diff spacer and have it fitted to put less stress on the cv's. is this the sort of thing i'm looking for? http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/DiffDrop.shtml anyone know where to get them here?

Surfenstein - what your SAS stand for?

Comment

Working...
                          X