3rd wheel spacer question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd wheel spacer question.

Ive recently bought a set of standard 3rd gen wheels off a forum member which im going to get refurbed & a nice new set off rubber on them.

Ive been doing a bit of searching "yes i have" & it seems that quite a few members have had trouble with studs snapping/shearing plus spacers not fitting correctly & i am a little concerned.

All the posts/threads ive read seem to point to the problems being on 2nd gens but i don't fancy handing over hard earned cash for something thats no good.

If any 3rd gen members have fit the roughtrax spacers to there trucks then i would be interested to find out if they had problems.

Cheers si.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

LOL ask Marky, his 3rd Gen wheel fell off! But his were all the Toyota studs on the disk, not the spacer studs that broke.

Most of the stud breakings are from over tightening, and mostly its the old Toyota studs.

I've fitted lots over the years, and broken 1 new spacer stud, and about 3 Toy wheel studs. Had some on our heavily offroaded truck for ages before getting 10" rims and 33's

Roughtrax, LA supertrux, Tiger Trucks, Ebay etc....all the 'proper' spacers come from the same supplier. I've never had any that don't fit properly, only previously over tightened wheels nuts that weakens the stud.

The really dodgy spacers are the ones that use stud extensions, they are bad news.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

So as long as i torque them up correctly im ok.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        LOL ask Marky, his 3rd Gen wheel fell off! But his were all the Toyota studs on the disk, not the spacer studs that broke.

Most of the stud breakings are from over tightening, and mostly its the old Toyota studs.

I've fitted lots over the years, and broken 1 new spacer stud, and about 3 Toy wheel studs. Had some on our heavily offroaded truck for ages before getting 10" rims and 33's

Roughtrax, LA supertrux, Tiger Trucks, Ebay etc....all the 'proper' spacers come from the same supplier. I've never had any that don't fit properly, only previously over tightened wheels nuts that weakens the stud.

The really dodgy spacers are the ones that use stud extensions, they are bad news.
        What is the correct torque setting for roughtrax spacers? I did have the info somewhere but, as usual, have misplaced it. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I had Roughtrax spacers for about 4 years on my truck, no problems. At the time if you said you were a member of the Forum, you got a discount on the more expensive spacers, from Barry at Roughtrax, i think is his name.
          Still Searching,
          Dick Whittington

Comment

85ft/lbs-ish is fine. Offical specs around the world go from 80 to 95 for alloys, and 100 for steel wheels, but Toyota 4x4 wheel studs don't like a lot of torque, especially old ones. So I do it about 80-85, these days to be safe and use plenty of copper slip on the threads and hubs to stop them sticking or corroding.

I have broken studs at 100ft/lbs before.

Comment

Thanks for the info tony.

Comment

I snapped some spacer ones when I got them, but all on the one spacer, I suspect a dodgy batch of studs? All 6 have been replaced and torqued up to 105nm, 8nm less than specified. I just re-check them fortnightly(ish) instead of monthly(ish)!
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  I snapped some spacer ones when I got them, but all on the one spacer, I suspect a dodgy batch of studs? All 6 have been replaced and torqued up to 105nm, 8nm less than specified. I just re-check them fortnightly(ish) instead of monthly(ish)!

Is that two or three grunts?

Comment

It's 70nm then 65degrees
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      Is that two or three grunts?
                      He must have over-grunted initially.

Comment

OK now its getting confusing, who's right & who's wrong.

There's only one way to find out...................

FIGHT !

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          He must have over-grunted initially.
                          Nope, all went to 113nm bar the 6 on one spacer. Replaced all 6 studs and now all is well. (albeit at 105nm)
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

i had Marky's old spacers on my surf and frontera with no probs, set at 1 big grunt and loads of copperslip, but always checked them before and after offroading. the frontera had billet spacers up front (Markys ones) and extenda stud ones on the rear.
                            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

how do they work...?

well, i'm considering RT spacers....

how do they fit the wheel?

ive got my 6 toyota studs on the wheel, and my new spacer with studs on, and 6 nuts suppled.

i'm sure its obvious when you get them..

I assume (ha!) that they have 6 holes in them that go over the existing studs, and you use the nuts to attach the spacer to the wheel, then you offer up the alloy to the spacer studs and secure with your existing wheel nuts????

or is it some other way?

image would be good!
                              If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Working...
                              X