Hilux engine oil change gone wrong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux engine oil change gone wrong...

Hey guys new to the forum.. basically got a problem.. well aint really a problem just more work than nessary.. basically went to change the oil, and oil filter on my k reg 2.4 auto hilux surf an my friend who was helping jumped straight in under the car with a 14mm spaner and undone a sump plug that is inline with the drivers door and front passenger door (sorry trying to deescribe as best as i can) im guessing this is the autmatic transmission fluid as its pinkish in colour, an seeing that it as quite clean it was not nessary for the oil change! anyway now i just want confirmation that it it the auto box (about 3/4l came out of the sump) and wanted to know where abouts the fill port is for the transmission box (auto) and also going on a search of this forum, dex 3 or 2 is the best to use then cycle the gears with car runnining after change. also wanted to know how to manouver the oil filter (engine) out from the engine bay? is the only way to get it out through the wheel well drivers side? see theres a panal there but bolts are very tight, didnt want to shear them. anyway thanks for the help guys,

low.

You will need to fill the atf via the atf dipstick then do what you said with the gear selector and engine running.
    The oil filter will need to come out the wheel arch like you said also but i am certain you need to remove that panel in order to get it out.
    If the bolts break then just drill out whats left and put a different nut and bolt on there
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

i just take the filter box off to get tto the filter, cant you do that on all surfs??
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Thought it was just the flexible strip thingy that was removed then straight to the filter?

Na on the 2.4 you go through the weel arch and the 3.0 is near the top on the passenger side.
        never seen a 3rd gen engine bay tho
        The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Cant you make a funnel out of paper and pour the ATF back in through the dipstick? I mean the thing used to check the oil level, not your mate!

Engine Oil filter is done through the panel in the wheel arch behind the rubber flap thingies.
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Easy way to refill atf is get 500ml atf bottle (one of the ones with a fill tube buit in). Then stuff the tube into where the dipstick lives and let it empty itself in. Once empty cut the bottom off and you've got a perfect fitting funnel to use to finish the job off.

To make oil filter change easier get one of those3 leg filter spanners, also jack truck up to give you more room in the wheel arch.
            Last edited by sv1000spilot; 6 March 2010, 18:42.
            My other cars a QUAD
            (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
            http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Working...
            X