Pictures in Signatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tallyman
    No, you don't have to keep a picture on a website to use it as an avatar but you do need to have a very small picture to upload through your User CP.

You need to use the section for "Custom avatar", then you can import a picture from your computer. That's what I did, but you need to shrink your picture down to no more than 100x100 pixels to get it to work, otherwise it gets rejected.

Pick your photo, then use photo editing software to shrink it down, then save it as a different name to the original (.jpg format is probably easiest). Then use the link in the User CP to search for the file on your computer and insert it as your avatar.
    Avatars are indeed stored on the forums servers, but Danno & Rick are trying to put a pic in the signature at the bottom of their posts. This requires that the picture be located elsewhere on the web for this forum to retrieve and display as required, ie the pic in my signature is located on one of my own websites, but displayed here.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
      Avatars are indeed stored on the forums servers, but Danno & Rick are trying to put a pic in the signature at the bottom of their posts. This requires that the picture be located elsewhere on the web for this forum to retrieve and display as required, ie the pic in my signature is located on one of my own websites, but displayed here.
      Spot on Maurice . I just wonder why there are two different 'systems' for this . Why an avatar is even easy for a moron like me to do , as you can see on the left . Why is the signiture picture not done the same way ?
      As a non techy person it is not clear to me , there must be a reason . Server memory space or something ?
      I will get this sorted one day , with you guys guiding me I am sure . Still got my internet provider to sort out .(we have covered that one quite well before).

Rick
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
        Spot on Maurice . I just wonder why there are two different 'systems' for this . Why an avatar is even easy for a moron like me to do , as you can see on the left . Why is the signiture picture not done the same way ?
        As a non techy person it is not clear to me , there must be a reason . Server memory space or something ?
        I will get this sorted one day , with you guys guiding me I am sure . Still got my internet provider to sort out .(we have covered that one quite well before).

Rick
        I assume the reason for this is twofold, firstly server space, if we all stored signature pics as well as avatars on the forums servers it would clearly require additional space. Secondly, and more likely I believe, is that the avatar has been designed to be just that, a picture, nothing more nothing less, so its easy to place constraints on the size etc and easy to offer a method of uploading. Similarly posting pictures as attachments is straightforward as the system has been purposly designed to do so.
        With signitures however things are a little different, you are permitted to use coding to give your siggy a personnal or unique look, this entails looser controls over the code/formatting etc people use. One possible use of this ability to insert some code is to display a picture, (I'm sure many other uses could be devised). This is putting a picture in is a little more difficult than uploading an avatar.

The above are assumtions on my part, I'm sure one of the mods will correct me if I err.
        Maurice

Comment

Koi / Lucky

Just noticed that HTML code is now switched off in the siggy screen plus we used to have a button to show all code in a window below the preview, which has dissapeared (perhaps when the forum recieved its upgrade). Any chance of getting these back ??
          Maurice

Comment

The images for siggys would be far to big if they were held on the forum sever. Imagine all the 1800 odd of us having images in our siggys the size of Morr's at 6269bytes ( how do I know that Morr?! ) then you get 113.842 gigs of server space used. I think the maths is correct-ish.

Bear in mind Morr's image for example isn't even that big or very high resolution.

BTW I'm having problems with my dial-up modem which I have to use to upload to my webspace. I cant do it through my BBand ISP. Can anybody do a small FTP upload for me on dial-up if I give them the details?
            I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
              Koi / Lucky

Just noticed that HTML code is now switched off in the siggy screen plus we used to have a button to show all code in a window below the preview, which has dissapeared (perhaps when the forum recieved its upgrade). Any chance of getting these back ??

ermmmmm no, can't remember why we had to switch it off, but I think it was something to do with the upgrade and the way HTML could be used. Basically it had the potential to mess things up if we allowed it. Andy will remember why more exactly, but he's away at the mo.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Working...
              X