Pictures in Signatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures in Signatures

I have just searched for how to put pictures in your signatures and I gather that they will be stored on the forum server.

So to keep from clogging up the server I can put a link to a different server to display the picture. Correct?

So.....how?

I can see the text box in my forum control panel but I need detailed instructions please.
    I NEED TO OFFROAD!

I have tried to put pictures in signiture but it asks for a http address , any ideas what that is as I have piccys stored in album on computer , can I not use those .

Rick
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
      I have tried to put pictures in signiture but it asks for a http address , any ideas what that is as I have piccys stored in album on computer , can I not use those .

Rick
      Rick,

if you would like them web based, drop me an email and I will see what I can do to help

Trev (trevvy@hotmail.com or trevvy@wanderlustonline.com)
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

if its asking for a http address then the picture must be stored on a web server, so you would need an url to direct it to

Tony and Linda use a picture from their site.

I could possibly set up a website just for this use. Give me the pictures and I could post them on a site dedicated for this purpose.

Let me think about that one......I've got loads of free webspace and address that I could use. I'm just about to buy www.toyotasurf.org.uk so I could use that
        I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

So , anyone who has pictures in their signiture has their own website ?

So if you want to use pictures from another website in signitures you steal them ?

Rick

Comment

Well yeah you could steal them, but careful on any possible copyright laws!

We dont want to bring the forum into disrepute.

You may have to contact the webmaster of that site and agree to include a link to their site or something.
            I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
              Rick,

if you would like them web based, drop me an email and I will see what I can do to help

Trev (trevvy@hotmail.com or trevvy@wanderlustonline.com)
              Thanks for the offer . It would be nice to be able to run these types of things with out the use of a website . I would have thought a PC could have done this . Just select a picture from album and put in signiture , just like the avatar . Why is it different ?

Rick (getting a headache )

Comment

Wot if there is a picture on this forum we use that I want in signiture would that work by typing in the address at top ?

Rick

Comment

Then you'd have to ask Koi for the correct url eg. http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/public/forums/IMAGE NAME

Obviously this link is not valid so no point trying it!!

You'd need to no the image name to point it at the right location
                  I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

I did just try and load a picture off hthe forum and it worked apart from the warning came up saying I was using over 100 charecters . So I need to find a smaller picture ?

Rick

Comment

No you can just resize that picture.

Which one is it?

Mail it to me and I'll shrink it for you
                      I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
                        No you can just resize that picture.

Which one is it?

Mail it to me and I'll shrink it for you
                        I would like to learn how to do this stuff myself if poss . Can you explain it or is it to long to type out .
                        If I mail it to you or shrink it the address will be lost wont it ? and then it will not be usable as a website photo?

Rick

Comment

I presume you mean the address was over 100 characters?

If that is the case then there must be a restriction on the length of address you can use, why I don't know, so you will have to rob the photo and post it on another server with a shorter address.

To do this you can right click on the image and click on save as [filename]. You then have the image on your harddrive. Then point the signature to that url. I know its a pain but it seems the only way.

I'm just going to try it out with one of my old r&d websites from years ago to see if I can get it to work
                          I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
                            I presume you mean the address was over 100 characters?

If that is the case then there must be a restriction on the length of address you can use, why I don't know, so you will have to rob the photo and post it on another server with a shorter address.

To do this you can right click on the image and click on save as [filename]. You then have the image on your harddrive. Then point the signature to that url. I know its a pain but it seems the only way.

I'm just going to try it out with one of my old r&d websites from years ago to see if I can get it to work

I have raised the characters to 150, see how you get on now.
                            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                            My choice
                            Back off

Comment

No, you don't have to keep a picture on a website to use it as an avatar but you do need to have a very small picture to upload through your User CP.

You need to use the section for "Custom avatar", then you can import a picture from your computer. That's what I did, but you need to shrink your picture down to no more than 100x100 pixels to get it to work, otherwise it gets rejected.

Pick your photo, then use photo editing software to shrink it down, then save it as a different name to the original (.jpg format is probably easiest). Then use the link in the User CP to search for the file on your computer and insert it as your avatar.
                              Mike G

Comment

Working...
                              X