any PC wizards around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any PC wizards around?

Hiya - can anybody help with a small anoying problem that has started happening with my desktop PC.
    Every now and then, when pc goes into standby mode or is powered off - it will not restart - I just get a blue screen with a message to the effect that I have done something wrong or something is wrong inside, with the following error code....

**STOP: 0x0000007e(0x0000005,0xb919962 5,0xba5171f0,0xba516eec)

no other message or help appears. I've tried googling the error code to no avail.

the strange thing is, if i leave the power turned off for say 5-6 hours - it will restart without any hiccups.
    I thought it maybe a cooling concern and have stripped casing, cleaned out all dust from fans etc and checked all connections - no effect. Have also changed the cmos battery.
    prior to this happening i have not installed nor removed any hard/software.

if i only knew what these error codes meant - or how to look them up would be a good starting point.

any ideas before i bin it a buy a new system???
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Look up the error code but dont put in the bracketed part. It could be a memory problem. Have you installed new software? Have you checked your HDD for problems...

Shirl

Comment

I would say, only from what you've posted, that you have faulty memory (in the computer of course). I'd replace it with decent-quality RAM (i.e. not the cheapest) and see how you go. It probably only manifests itself when the box has warmed up, hence it working fine when the box is back to being cold.
      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

I googled and got this page ..... might help you to find a clue as to what is wrong GL

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...02049&aq=f&oq=
        Last edited by Pelicanbill; 10 February 2010, 16:49. Reason: forgot to add link :)

Comment

Originally posted by shirley53 View Post
          Look up the error code but dont put in the bracketed part. It could be a memory problem. Have you installed new software? Have you checked your HDD for problems...

Shirl
          Hi - no new software. am about to check HDD - with chkdsk???

The last thing i can remember doing prior to the blus screen was changing cmos battery. Changed battery as pc would reset time and date when powered off. swapped battery - all ok for a few weeks - then blue screen started to appear.
          may try removing ram modules 1 at a time - i have 4x1mb modules - two original and an additional two i bought about a year ago.

Comment

Internal battery (button cell) needs replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
              The last thing i can remember doing prior to the blus screen was changing cmos battery. Changed battery as pc would reset time and date when powered off. swapped battery - all ok for a few weeks - then blue screen started to appear.
              Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Internal battery (button cell) needs replacing.
              Looks to me like that is what caused the issue Vince. I would suspect thgat some of the motherboard settings have been lost when the battery was removed and will need to be reconfigured.

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                I would suspect thgat some of the motherboard settings have been lost when the battery was removed and will need to be reconfigured.
                If some of the settings of the motherboard had been lost or corrupt - would that cause the pc to work ok for weeks and then only start acting up now and then?
                I'm not the best with electronics - but from my experience in engineering/maintence - things like computers and electronic circuits either work or don't work. rarely do faults within the circuits occur intermitantly, unless influenced by outside sources - normally heat. But as i said - i'm not an electronics guy - just a hairy ar$ed fitter. lol

Just a thought - is there any sort of parameter page within windows that allows you to monitor cpu temperature? - just had casing apart to swap about ram modules and noticed main fan for cpu cooling seems a little feeble - especially when it seems to have a lot to cool - big stacked aluminium heatsink plates with copper cooling tubes burried within (aprox 4" cubed)
                Last edited by jaky cakes; 10 February 2010, 18:50.

Comment

if it was down to changing the cmos (internal) battery it would have thrown a wobbly straight away, what anti virus software are you running as could be a virus on the pc as from the blue screen your describing it keeps running a fault somewhere within the operating system software, search BSOD (blue screen of death)

Comment

Originally posted by guysturg1 View Post
                    if it was down to changing the cmos (internal) battery it would have thrown a wobbly straight away, (blue screen of death)
                    Not correct. If it's dodgy or cheap memory that's being accidentally overclocked, it may only fail under heavy usage.
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

It should give you this whole message apparently:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer
                      , press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF85F9AD9, 0xF898B7A4, 0xF898B4A4)"

As said speculated above, probably somehow linked to changing your CMOS battery and resetting it. It will have reset every setting so may not be running as it should - possibly running too hot.

Try going into the BIOS when you start it up and disabling the caching and shadowing as above. Whilst you're in there, check that settings for processor and memory are as they should be.

Comment

Enter the bios after post beep, usually delete key or an F key, once in check the settings, and if it's an award bios, then set it to fail-safe/defaults mode.

Next trick, take out the memory moduals (ram) and give the sockets they came out of a dusting off with either an air can or a soft gloss brush.

Like wise clean out any dust build up in fans cpu cooler the whole thing really.
                        While your there check you CPU fan is spinning normaly, it's possible that while you where in there changing the batt, you may have gotten a cable caught up in the fan, very easy to do with stock intel CPU fans.

peace
                        cal
                        Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          Not correct. If it's dodgy or cheap memory that's being accidentally overclocked, it may only fail under heavy usage.
                          if the cmos battery is removed the bios is set back to its default setting which would cause the pc to run at default values which are preprogrammed not overclocking anything as it will read the memory timings from the memory itself, the only thing that could cause a problem is if its an older P4 processor with hyperthreading, if its enabled in the bios by default then some pcs can throw a funny about it

Comment

http://www.squidoo.com/failed-cpu-burn-out

read this
                            nigel

ps, if the cpu has only partially cooked. remove cpu ,check condition of paste, but renew anyway. Paste can degrade with long term high useage that may have been running hot for some reason.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/274
                            Last edited by nigel129; 11 February 2010, 05:19.
                            Surf K Reg LN130 2.4 AUTO

Comment

As an after thought, run this first (when the machine has been off for a while)

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
                              Surf K Reg LN130 2.4 AUTO

Comment

Working...
                              X