KZN185 economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by truckarms View Post
    How much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
    feck me - you can buy another truck for that

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
      Dirty car had better fuel economy 'cos the turbulence or some sh!t was better.
      The old turbulent boundary layer trick. Some planes had roughened (sandpaper like, Judwak would be right at home) leading edges to their wings in order to detatch the flow so it would reattach smoothly earlier. Led, surprisingly enough on the face of it, to a lower drag wing.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
        The old turbulent boundary layer trick. Some planes had roughened (sandpaper like, Judwak would be right at home) leading edges to their wings in order to detatch the flow so it would reattach smoothly earlier. Led, surprisingly enough on the face of it, to a lower drag wing.
        They covered a car in 'golf ball' sized dimples and stuck it in a wind tunnel and showed the 'suction' at the back of the car was lessened.
        The myth was that a highly polished car would 'slip' through the air!
        I was so upset when she turned up on the show pregnant.
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

That reminds me...Anybody know where George is ? and Andy did you ever get my email about the Lynx ?
          Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Originally posted by John h View Post
            That reminds me...Anybody know where George is ? and Andy did you ever get my email about the Lynx ?
            That's a good point, not heard from him for ages .
            Neal

Comment

I like the look of the extended tank, but it costs way too much, and I need the spare wheel more!!

The higher mpg/higher bhp thing does work on a good remap. I think that with turbo diesels you're more likely to get about a 20% bhp increase, a 10% mpg increase, and loads of torques. (If memory serves).

I'll post the results if I get it done (and become the guinea pig).

For anyone getting it done, make sure they save the original settings first, so that if it's not right, they can just upload the originals again.

Comment

Originally posted by Fey! View Post
                get about a 20% bhp increase, a 10% mpg increase, and loads of torques.
                <Homer> "Lisa! In this house, we OBEY the laws of thermodynamics!"
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

<Homer> "Lisa! In this house, we OBEY the laws of thermodynamics!"
                  I am very aware that the figures I gave make absolutely no sense; I'm basing them on a friends remap on a BMW 320d a few years ago, with changes measured on a rolling road and calculating mileage.

maybe the figures he gave me were wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Fey! View Post
                    I am very aware that the figures I gave make absolutely no sense; I'm basing them on a friends remap on a BMW 320d a few years ago, with changes measured on a rolling road and calculating mileage.

maybe the figures he gave me were wrong...
                    Things don't always add up to the simplest explanation. Increased power has the potential to give improved mpg cos you'll find yourself pressing the accelerator less for a given speed/power.

I remember reading an article some years ago (can't remember where) that explained it quite nicely, although it was written more from the viewpoint of slagging off the folks that pop their car into 5th gear and sit there all day thinking that it saves them fuel.

I seem to recall that the argument was that optimum power output / fuel efficiency are at given amounts of revs for a particular engine. If you can match the gear to that given revs more of the time then that is how you get more power/improved mpg. If you pour fuel into an engine it has the potential to burn more fuel at no appreciable increase in power.

I would assume that re-mapping fuel injection has the potential to achieve better mpg and power but I'd be sceptical about either claim without seeing the proof in front of me.

Comment

Remapping modern cars (not sure about the old Surf engine and electronics) makes a big difference in economy and power. Most std ECU maps are very cautions with engine timings and fueling so use more fuel and get less power.
                      On my last Subaru it had the cats removed, uprated fuel pump and a panel filter and the power was increased from 286bhp to 340bhp with similar torque figures. Without the remap the other mods wouldn't have made much difference and would probably of damaged the engine anyway.

Comment

Horsepower comes from burning more fuel. Economy comes from burning less.

You CANT have both at once in an engine design thats over 20 years old!

To be honest, you'd be better off buying some refurbed injectors and giving the truck a good service for better mpg. If you want a more powerful truck, fit a Lex V8.
                        well excuse me!!! I was only passing on what I was told by a guy who did it in a 2.2 diesel so dont shoot the messenger!! As for a lex v8 conversion I think 300 is better than 3000 quid for the same fuel economy! I am saving me pennies for a LC amazon V8 and the mpg is 17 mpg but who cares, ye only live once!
                        Last edited by noobysurfer; 27 January 2010, 21:07.

Comment

If you want more mpg cripple it by putting on road oriented tyres, off road tyres knock the fuel consumption
                          ionic SURFactant

Comment

Found it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWWe8j3-Vs4
                            Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Thing is if you want to get more mpg out of your surf you could throw on useless roadie tyres & drive around like a granny all the time but honestly whats the point?
                              May as well just sell it & get a micra!....sorry that was uncalled for, i went too far

Comment

Working...
                              X