KZN185 economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN185 economy

I've been reading some of the threads on here about people getting anywhere from 17-32mpg in their 185s.

I get abut 18 urban, and 25 motorway (72mph average).

So I'm looking at a possible remap to get slightly better economy.

Has anyone any experience of this in a Hilux? And are there any other ways to improve economy in a 14 year old 1.8 tonne 3.0 litre automatic diesel tank?

I don't use a particularly heavy foot in it due to a tendency for it to spin its wheels!! But I really need to get better range from it for rally weekends (300kms urban, about 500km rural at the moment).

I expect you're on a hiding to nothing to be honest. It is what it is. I've NEVER heard of anyone remapping a Surf ECU, and I doubt you'll gain much if anything, even if its possible.

As you say, its near 2 tons, and 14 years old. It's never going to be economical.

Got a source of used veg oil nearby?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Veg oil? I'm lucky to find diesel over here in the west of Ireland!!!

I know that remaps work well in turbo diesel VAGs and BMWs, so I thought that it might work in Toyotas. A friend of mine (very experienced mechanic; won the Jaguar Worldwide technicians competition twice, and is the chief mechanic for Jag, Landrover and Honda here) has the equipment to do it, so I'm trying to get him to give it a go!!

Comment

I drive a manual and get 30 on a run 25 around town.

My old 3.0 2nd gen had 5" of lift abd ran 33" tyres never made 20 on a run or otherwise.

Love them both and couldn't live with a town car, so it's the pay up and enjoy option for me
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Fey! View Post
          Veg oil? I'm lucky to find diesel over here in the west of Ireland!!!

I know that remaps work well in turbo diesel VAGs and BMWs, so I thought that it might work in Toyotas. A friend of mine (very experienced mechanic; won the Jaguar Worldwide technicians competition twice, and is the chief mechanic for Jag, Landrover and Honda here) has the equipment to do it, so I'm trying to get him to give it a go!!
          Can you post up the result if you get it done?I have made enquiries into it too
          and the general opinion is 40 horsepower more and better mpg but not sure how much better!Its also 300 bucks to do it so a guinea pig is needed i.e you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fey! View Post
            I've been reading some of the threads on here about people getting anywhere from 17-32mpg in their 185s.

I get abut 18 urban, and 25 motorway (72mph average).

So I'm looking at a possible remap to get slightly better economy.

Has anyone any experience of this in a Hilux? And are there any other ways to improve economy in a 14 year old 1.8 tonne 3.0 litre automatic diesel tank?

I don't use a particularly heavy foot in it due to a tendency for it to spin its wheels!! But I really need to get better range from it for rally weekends (300kms urban, about 500km rural at the moment).
            Could be worth fitting a bigger fuel tank if you run out of other ideas?

Somebody nearer to home MUST do something like this surely?!

Or you could maybe give these guys a shout to see if they could help... it's a bit different to their normal stuff but it'd be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by noobysurfer View Post
              40 horsepower more and better mpg
              Horsepower comes from burning more fuel. Economy comes from burning less.

You CANT have both at once in an engine design thats over 20 years old!

To be honest, you'd be better off buying some refurbed injectors and giving the truck a good service for better mpg. If you want a more powerful truck, fit a Lex V8.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                Could be worth fitting a bigger fuel tank if you run out of other ideas?

Somebody nearer to home MUST do something like this surely?!

Or you could maybe give these guys a shout to see if they could help... it's a bit different to their normal stuff but it'd be interesting to hear what they have to say.
                In fact - I just found this...

http://www.offroad24.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d790.html

Comment

The best I got out of the 3rd gen (2.7 petrol, auto) was 34 mpg.
                  That was driing like an OAP (baby on board, all 'A' roads) from south Wales to Chester and back.
                  Correct tyre pressures, shiny paintwork etc, it all helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                    How much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

oh its ok, they do free shipping on orders over 75quid!!!

maybe they should just say free shipping as I have not found anything under 300 quid yet!!!

Comment

Clean car vs Dirty car, Myth busted.

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/myth...-vs-clean-car/
                        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                          Clean car vs Dirty car, Myth busted.

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/myth...-vs-clean-car/
                          What was the outcome I cant be ar$ed with all the adds

Comment

Dirty car had better fuel economy 'cos the turbulence or some sh!t was better.
                            I remember that episode because that was the day my banning order came through, preventing me from getting to within 100 yards of kari byron.
                            I wasn't stalking her, she's my wife, she just doesn't know it yet!
                            Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms View Post
                              oh its ok, they do free shipping on orders over 75quid!!!

maybe they should just say free shipping as I have not found anything under 300 quid yet!!!
                              Their catalogue is free! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X