Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP PLEASE!- Manual/Auto Rad fitted to Auto LN130

OMG!!! Help please...!!!

Bought a 2 year old rad which was advertised as a manual or auto. Guy said that blanking plates would need to be removed if it was to be fitted to an auto.

Spoke to the guy over the phone & he said that the bottom pipes on the rad that connect to the auto box would need to be unscrewed & then the blanking plates could be accessed & drilled out.

Well, got the rad & did as he instructed. Fitted the part & proceeded to flush system with rad flush & clean out. Re-filled system & took for a test run.

Noticed that gear selection was a bit clunky & was suffering a little power loss.

Got truck back home & checked auto oil level.....well I nearly died!! The dip stick is covered in brown gunge which looked like coolant & water & oil all mixed together.

Rang the guy who sold me the rad. He said he would bring another rad over as I collected the rad from his house which is about 14miles.

I'm now unable to drive the truck & have noticed that the gearbox is now leaking this gunge as the coolant must have eaten thriough the gaskets..??

Is my gear box now wrecked?

Any advice much appreciated, cheers all
    Submission?...Now that's a bit of a problem.

i would drain the gearbox oil fit NEW rad and try again there is a way to flush the system but that takes loads of fluid. empty and re fill see how it is then.

Comment

ps i have a spare 2.4 gearbox if you have broke it but i suspect it will be fine once it is drained.

Comment

did you check the fluid level before and after fitting the rad??
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Am I the only one thinking this Auto/Manual/Drilling holes in a radiator has ended up with a combined Cooling/Gearbox oil system?
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            Am I the only one thinking this Auto/Manual/Drilling holes in a radiator has ended up with a combined Cooling/Gearbox oil system?
            I'm leaning that way too.

Flush the system well and then buy a new radiator and you'll be sorted I'm sure.
            I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              No you're not alone there.
              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

i thought that but silly me didnt want to seem stupid.....

Comment

I wonder if there is in fact a lower tank for the ATF in there, or whether they just make all the rads with the ATF pipes there (one set of presses for the bottom tank) but dont fit the ATF cooler in manual ones.

Either that, or the drill was a drill too far.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

Either that, or the drill was a drill too far.
                    LMAO.....

Comment

To be perfectly frank, I think buying a 2nd hand rad is like buying 2nd hand pants.

You just don't do it.
                      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I only sell a rad if i know for certain it is ok.I have dumped several rad because i can't be certain on what they are like and i would never sell one knowing or suspicious of a problem with one
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Quote from Roughtrax website

We have now managed to source a NEW LN130 2.4cc radiator that fits both Manual and Automatic transmissions. Toyota also now only supply one radiator that fits both transmissions, so RoughTrax has followed suit.

So Andy, you may be right.

Which Andy?
                          You decide.
                          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                            Quote from Roughtrax website

We have now managed to source a NEW LN130 2.4cc radiator that fits both Manual and Automatic transmissions. Toyota also now only supply one radiator that fits both transmissions, so RoughTrax has followed suit.

So Andy, you may be right.

Which Andy?
                            You decide.
                            I know that rad, as one's sitting in my truck right now. There was nothing to drill, it was quite simply a case of original Toyota one out, roughtrax one in, same connections, same pipework. The only difference was the Toyota one has a drain plug, the roughtrax one doesn't.
                            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Sh*t happens I guess.

DIdn't have the mola for new one & did check out the forum here for used one's-but was outta luck.
                              EBay called & hey presto!! now I'm cryin' about it lol

Lesson learned & won't make the same mistake again.

Thanks for the advice guys! ;o)
                              Submission?...Now that's a bit of a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X