Broken Halfshaft!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Halfshaft!

My rear passenger side halfshaft broke while I driving along. The wheel fell off and went rolling past the car. LUCKILY I was only doing 10mph at the time....

Last edited by laser_jock99; 14 January 2010, 23:59.

Bl00dy 'ell, Any indication? noise beforehand? or just bang?
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99 View Post
      My rear passenger side halfshaft broke while I driving along. The wheel fell off and went rolling past the car. LUCKILY I was only doing 10mph at the time....
      Oh, not good! Glad you were going slowly.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Now that is scary.....

Comment

Have you got a Straight on pic of the shear point? There are cracks there?

Comment

How old is the bearing?

Comment

Do you think the 4" lift and 33 " wheels are a factor?

Comment

glad you were goin slow,by the looks of the oxidisation,must have been cracked for a while,no odd noises?

Comment

Originally posted by zolton View Post
                  Do you think the 4" lift and 33 " wheels are a factor?
                  Only thing I can think of is we damaged the halfshaft when we removed the last wheel bearing. It was a particularly stuborn barsteward I recall. We ended up having to burn the thing off with oxy-acetylene.

Lesson- don't do anything that might damage the halfshaft when removing bearings.

Comment

Only thing I can think of is we damaged the halfshaft when we removed the last wheel bearing. It was a particularly stuborn barsteward I recall. We ended up having to burn the thing off with oxy-acetylene.
                    That's what I was eluding to. Do you have a pic of the shear?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      That's what I was eluding to. Do you have a pic of the shear?
                      If you look at the break you can clearly see part of the fracture is dark, old - metal presumably a crack from the last bearing change a year ago. The majority of the break is clean fresh metal.

Comment

If you look at the break you can clearly see part of the fracture is dark, old - metal presumably a crack from the last bearing change a year ago. The majority of the break is clean fresh metal.
                        I wonder how long the central part of that break (the cleaner cracked part) took to grow? The final (from the failure) damage is the last 25%, the rough bit.

Comment

that is scary stuff.
                          glad no one was injured.
                          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

As you are OK and no one was hurt you can put it down as a funny 'Carry On' or 'Last of the Summer Wine' moment but that was very lucky.

Glad you are OK.

Did it ditch that corner onto the road or did it just sit there in limbo?
                            I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

lol, i was going to say have you changed the bearing in the past with a torch?

change the bearing properly, or don't do it!

never use heat near a axle shaft. Exciting times.
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X