Do I buy or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I buy or not?

Hi I am new to Surfs and yesterday I went to look at a 1995 3.0TD ( 135k Miles) that had been stood for between 1-2 years.
    I put a battery on it and fired it up almost straight away but it wouldn't rev.
    After looking around all the drive belts where slack
    I tightened them up and it runs OK even moved fine the brakes not stuck 4wd engaging ok.
    But on the dash the fluid warning light, Tbelt AT light and battery light are on.
    Is this probably just the alternator been a bit weak causing the other light to come on or could it have bigger problems? It is charging a little according to the in car gauge but it dips a lot with lights on.
    The back door isn't working and it needs rear bumpers but other than usual mess from been stood its in fairly good nick.
    Am in 2 minds weather to buy it or not
    It has 4 very good Uniroyl road tyres but no MOT Tax etc the owner will not take less than €700 euros for it
    I can do all the work myself but don't want it getting expensive.
    What do you guys think

Hello and welcome.
    The dashboard lights are indiciative of loose alternator belts. I would have been concerned about the not revving, but having stood for a long time...
    I would advise you try it from cold to operating temperature, making sure the levels are correct and gunk free before you start. It should not use any coolant at all. If it all checks out go for it
    good luck

edit: why has it stood got two years?
    If it is a head issue you are looking at a £1000 plus to remediate. But at €700 euros it's cheap enough... If it's all ok, doesn't spit coolant out etc seems like a steal.
    Last edited by gwh200; 8 January 2010, 10:39.
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply guys
      Been stood because he couldn't get it French registered. It has the French lights and some of the paperwork but been a Jap import the French make it difficult to register. I have registered a Jap imported Impreza STI in the past (they didn't make them in European versions) so it should be OK eventually.

He has somebody else looking at it this morning (after I arranged a price and time to go get it ) so if its still there this afternoon I will go get it.
      Was just worried the auto box may have problems with the light on.
      Could the loose belts have caused it not to rev? maybe slipping on the diesel pump?

Comment

If its been stood that long and no batteries etc then there could be water in the fuel.I would get it fully serviced before using it to much tho and give the engine and cooling system a decent flushing as you don't know what crap is in there.
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
          If its been stood that long and no batteries etc then there could be water in the fuel.I would get it fully serviced before using it to much tho and give the engine and cooling system a decent flushing as you don't know what crap is in there.
          Yeah that was the plan get it here then change all filters and fluids He said he had just put a fresh can of diesel in and I will put another in. I did drain the filter to check for water.

Comment

take it for a decent drive before paying for it tho just to make sure it is all driving ok.I think once the batteries charge up then it might well be fine

Comment

Like Stormforce said, take it for a good drive if you can because that'll show you if there are any hidden problems.
              I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

also one other thing you want to make sure the truck is started from cold and not warmed up before you get there.This is so you can see how well it starts etc

Comment

also one other thing you want to make sure the truck is started from cold and not warmed up before you get there.This is so you can see how well it starts etc
                  It was stone cold yesterday when I looked at it I put the battery on.
                  As said it didnt rev at first but maybe this was down to the belts or fuel but it did fire up quickley.
                  He is messing me about now I have arranged to go get it and somebody else is supposed to be looking at it but they haven't turned up yet.
                  Got 10 minutes then I will tell him to stick it if he cant say its mine
                  I need to get the money from the bank and have a friend with a Ranger that was going to follow me back just in case it brakes down (or gets stuck in the snow ) and I cant mess him about he goes on holiday tomorrow so last day I can collect it

Comment

thats the trouble with some people all they want to do is pi55 others about.He is probably waiting for you to say ok i'll give you 800 euro for the truck or something just to get more money out of you

Comment

thats the trouble with some people all they want to do is pi55 others about.He is probably waiting for you to say ok i'll give you 800 euro for the truck or something just to get more money out of you
                      No the other bloke offered more money I think (without seeing it) but they said as I got it running and went yesterday I could have it but then changed their minds wanting the extra money

Comment

Not answering the phone now
                        I guess the other guy is there?

Comment

To**er he has sold it
                          Oh well not getting a Surf just yet

Comment

you want to send him a bill for getting the truck running for him now as he did the dirty.
                            I bought 2 x 2.4's from a guy over here and 1 is a decent truck with blown head and the other as a doner vehicle.I got the one truck home and now the guy is refusing to answer his phoneemails,pms as he was meant to be bringing the other truck down.It looks like i am now £200 out of pocket and a truck that was going to be put on the road has now got to go as a breaker as i need the money.
                            What p1ssed me off tho was i went 100m to collect the other truck and it was moved and thats when he said he will deliver it for me.
                            If i don't get any reply soon then i will have to take another trip up there and go knocking on his door

Comment

you want to send him a bill for getting the truck running for him now as he did the dirty.
                              I bought 2 x 2.4's from a guy over here and 1 is a decent truck with blown head and the other as a doner vehicle.I got the one truck home and now the guy is refusing to answer his phoneemails,pms as he was meant to be bringing the other truck down.It looks like i am now £200 out of pocket and a truck that was going to be put on the road has now got to go as a breaker as i need the money.
                              What p1ssed me off tho was i went 100m to collect the other truck and it was moved and thats when he said he will deliver it for me.
                              If i don't get any reply soon then i will have to take another trip up there and go knocking on his door
                              I would take some friends with you insist on the cash back.
                              I can understand people wanting more money but once a deal is done that should be it.
                              The people I was getting it from are fanatical Christian Church goers so money is the root of all evil

Will have to try find one in the UK now and pay a fortune to get it back or not bother at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X