caravan help required please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caravan help required please.

I bought a little 2 berth freedom caravan about a month ago with the standard hitch "which was fine", anyway i sold it today & bought a 17 foot twin axle van & it has an AL-KO stabiliser fitted.

My question is, will the stabiliser be ok hooked on a standard ball or will i need to buy an AL-KO one to suit.

Not picking it up till friday but any advice would be much appreciated.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

it should be ok i've got an alko hitch on my van and i use a standard ball on both my cars that tow the van
    when the sh*t hits the fan greet the reaper with a smile

Comment

You need an ALKO tow ball, £22 from Halfords.
      They have a longer neck to allow for the larger ALKO hitch receiver. Get a ball cover too as the ball part needs to be kept clean and dry so the the ALKO stabiliser pads can grip it. New ALKO balls will have black paint on them when you buy them, this must be rubbed off with emery cloth to expose the metal and make it more grippy before towing.

Comment

that's wierd as I have towed one using a normal towball without an issue.

Also twin axles don't really suffer from snaking like single axles do, I tow an 22ft and never bother with the stabiliser as a pain to fit.
        Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Originally posted by oneintheeye View Post
          it should be ok i've got an alko hitch on my van and i use a standard ball on both my cars that tow the van
          It probably would be ok, but........................... .....

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          You need an ALKO tow ball, £22 from Halfords.
          They have a longer neck to allow for the larger ALKO hitch receiver. Get a ball cover too as the ball part needs to be kept clean and dry so the the ALKO stabiliser pads can grip it. New ALKO balls will have black paint on them when you buy them, this must be rubbed off with emery cloth to expose the metal and make it more grippy before towing.
          For 20 odd quid i think i'll buy one just to be on the safe side.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post

Also twin axles don't really suffer from snaking like single axles do, I tow an 22ft and never bother with the stabiliser as a pain to fit.
            Good for you. Got a photo of the rear of your caravan so I know what NOT to drive behind?

Comment

Good for you. Got a photo of the rear of your caravan so I know what NOT to drive behind?
              Have you ever towed one??

I have for over 20k miles....!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post

Pain to fit?

Im not being sarky with that either because i know nothing about them.

Why a pain.

Comment

This is mine, well not the actual one but similar & not that price either.
                    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-BESSACARR...item33586f000e
                    Last edited by si tate; 15 December 2009, 02:03.

Comment

i've got a 22ft single axle caravan and towed it to cornwall and back at 70mph this year with a normal ball covered nearly 500 miles round trip all in all i've done around 2000 miles this year without any problems
                      when the sh*t hits the fan greet the reaper with a smile

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                        This is mine, well not the actual one but the same & not that price either.
                        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-BESSACARR...item33586f000e
                        Excellent!
                        Thats a 24 footer by the way not 17

Mine is 22 feet.

Comment

Excellent!
                          Thats a 24 footer by the way not 17

Mine is 22 feet.
                          OOOOPS, its also a 3 birth, mines a 2 birth, only one i could find to show you.

Looks very similar though

Comment

Yep my point exactly a singe axle.

Comment

We tow a twin axle behind our caravan which has the Alko stabliser fitted. You cannot tow it with the stabliser up as it will snag on your spare wheel when tunring a corner. Can I suggets that if the caravan does not have them, fit shock absorbers to the caravan. £120 a pair and well worth the price. For further caravanning stuff go to this forum or this one Both have members who use a surf to town their caravan.

Comment

Working...
                              X