Glow plugs not heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow plugs not heating

What do I need to check to find out why my glow plugs arn't pre-heating (no light on the dash)? I've found an earth wire that had come adrift down by the drivers kick panel and also an external fuse that had blown, probably because of the earth, this was something to do with the existing alarm, have reattached the earth and replaced the fuse (although the fuse had an E where there would normally be a number) I've checked the fuses (the ones behind the drivers kick panel and the main box under the bonnet), when I switch on the ignition all the normal lights come up except the orange one for the glow plugs, there's an 80a fuse in the main fuse box which looks ok.
    There's what looks like a relay box in the engine bay that clicks when the ignition is switched on and a humming noise that briefly comes from what I assume is an ABS device (I guess the relay is ABS related as well), there's also a black box that covers the start and glow relays (can this glow relay be checked and does it just pull out?), is this supposed to click at all when the ignition is switched on, if so it doesn't.
    Are there any other hidden fuses to check somewhere? I'm at a loss at the moment and can't even start it to get it to a garage or to someone that knows what thier looking for, it will turn over but nowhere near at the normal speed and does not fire up. Is it possible that the ECU has gone into some kind of safe mode that needs to be reset in some way?
    Attached Files
    Neal

The 80a fuse is the normal culprit
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

I've not seen fuses like these before but the 80a one looks ok, as you look at it from the top it has a metal band which is intacked or does it need to be taken out and viewed properly? I didn't remove it as it looked fine. Thank you for the suggestion, any help is much appreciated, especially at the moment.
      Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Shalershasker View Post
        I've not seen fuses like these before but the 80a one looks ok, as you look at it from the top it has a metal band which is intacked or does it need to be taken out and viewed properly? I didn't remove it as it looked fine. Thank you for the suggestion, any help is much appreciated, especially at the moment.
        Have you checked to see if there is power on the buzz bar and it is a bulb in the dash has blown (some people do miss the obvious )
        It's a right sod to get to , you need to take the battery out and unbolt the fuse box there is then enough room to turn it over with the wires it bolts in from the bottom and you can put a multimeter on it and test for resistance..........failing that it's a wire adrift as the relays rarely go

then it's a process of checking where you get power to

BTW how old are the glow plugs as they might have reached the end of their lifespan
        Last edited by BioHazard; 21 November 2009, 18:58.
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Ahh I had this problem, but mine is a second gen so don't know if it is the same. Try unplugging the cables from your ecu leave a few mins and plug back in. If this then cures the problem I should send your ecu to the ecu doctor. Let me know if you want his details.
          Mine lead me a right merry dance and after spending £450 for 2 ecu's that did not arrive the doctor fixed my original for about £160 if my memory serves me right.
          monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
            Have you checked to see if there is power on the buzz bar and it is a bulb in the dash has blown (some people do miss the obvious )
            It's a right sod to get to , you need to take the battery out and unbolt the fuse box there is then enough room to turn it over with the wires it bolts in from the bottom and you can put a multimeter on it and test for resistance..........failing that it's a wire adrift as the relays rarely go

then it's a process of checking where you get power to

BTW how old are the glow plugs as they might have reached the end of their lifespan
            Excuse my ignorance but what is a buzz bar????
            Your right I haven't checked the actuall bulb in the dash, will this break the circuit to the plugs then?
            As for the plugs themselves, I'm not sure of their age but they worked perfectly well yesterday, they were the one's in the surf when I bought it so could be quite old or new for all I know, do they go just like that then with no warning, again forgive my ignorance but I've never had a diesel before and this is all new to me.
            Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
              Ahh I had this problem, but mine is a second gen so don't know if it is the same. Try unplugging the cables from your ecu leave a few mins and plug back in. If this then cures the problem I should send your ecu to the ecu doctor. Let me know if you want his details.
              Mine lead me a right merry dance and after spending £450 for 2 ecu's that did not arrive the doctor fixed my original for about £160 if my memory serves me right.
              I do hope it's not this as I will be very lost trying to trace it back to the ECU, but just in case if you could get them to hand, I'll hold that in reserve if all else fails, thanks phantom.

Not much I can do with it now as I've lost all my light and the heavens have opened.
              Neal

Comment

Not sure if the ecu is in the same place as a second gen, but mine is on the left hand side of the passenger footwell ( I am sure a hairdresser will be along shortly to confirm) they are easy just pull them out, 3 plugs on mine, and then just push em back in.
                monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

It's behind the glove box on mine, just dreading checking it, I'll go for checking the simple stuff first (please let it be simple), crossing fingers like you wouldn't believe at the mo, this is not the time of year for an expensive problem, lol.
                  Neal

Comment

Good luck mate keep us informed.
                    monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

You say it will turn over but not as fast as it usually does?
                      Did the engine turn over faster/normally when it was running OK yesterday?
                      The glowplug relay should click when it is energized i.e. ignition power to it.

Are you sure that was an earth wire you connected?

Comment

Will do phantom.
                        Neal

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          You say it will turn over but not as fast as it usually does?
                          Did the engine turn over faster/normally when it was running OK yesterday?
                          Yes mate, it was all good yesterday

The glowplug relay should click when it is energized i.e. ignition power to it.
                          Ahh, I got the missus to switch on the ignition while I listened it but in all honesty I was clutching at straws, at the time i wasn't sure if i was supposed to be hearing anything from it anyway, as it was, there was nothing.

Are you sure that was an earth wire you connected?
                          It was the only wire disconnected there, it looks like it goes to the central locking part of the alarm and the fuse, well, it looked ignition wire based, again i think taken from the alarm but when I started to undo cable ties to see where the earth wire had come from, well, what can I say, spaggetti junction springs to mind, but from what I can see all connections are now good which why I was looking for fuses or relay's that may have blown as a result, again just guessing though.
                          Neal

Comment

Ironically, today was going to be that day for taking out the old alarm to fit my nice new one, this little dilema put paid to that though.
                            Neal

Comment

I'm still not sure, that you're sure that was an earth wire. If it's a black wire, and it's in the central locking wiring, it could be a signal wire or similar for an immobiliser. Alarm/immobiliser wires are usually all black for security reasons, irrespective to what they do.
                              If it was disconnected when the truck was working, disconnect it again.
                              The blown fuse may or may not have had something to do with it.

Basically, you need to re-trace your steps and 'un-do' everything you done from when you had a running engine.

Make sure the battery/ies are fully charged too.

Comment

Working...
                              X