X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo timer

what is a turbo timer?
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Keeps engine running when ignition is off for a set time, normally found on performance cars.

Save you sitting there for a couple of mins after booting it letting it cool it and not build up heat as they do when just turned off.

I am sure you will get a more tech anser than that though.

see below
    Last edited by Bibs; 13 October 2009, 20:33.
    How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

It's an electronic device that allows the engine to run on for a, adjustable lenght of time to allow the turbo to spool down and oil itself, not a lot of use on a surf (although i have one fitted but truned off) more for performance engines,
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a pre-specified period of time in order to automatically execute the cool-down period required to prevent premature turbo wear and failure.
        lol couldn't reword it much better so i just referenced it, easier
        If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Comment

A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a pre-specified period of time in order to automatically execute the cool-down period required to prevent premature turbo wear and failure. After a period of driving when a turbocharger has been working hard, it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for a period of time, allowing the compressor assembly to cool from the lower gas temperatures in both the exhaust and intake tracts. At the same time the lubricating oil from the engine is able to circulate properly so the turbine won't burn the lubricating oil that would otherwise be trapped within the charger with the turbine rotating at high speed. With regard to modern automotive turbochargers, the need for a turbo timer can be eliminated by simply ensuring the car does not produce any 'boost' (during driving) for several minutes prior to the ignition being shut off. Most turbo timers are based on digital electronics.

Turbo timers can usually be disabled by an external switch, this is normally done using the handbrake switch, or using an automatic one.

aisy:

Comment

thanx for that

so as popeye said, not really worth it on a surf
            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
              thanx for that

so as popeye said, not really worth it on a surf
              Always worth it on a turbo'd engine in my opinion. I always let mine idle for a few mins if driven hard - so a turbo timer would save me sitting there waiting.

But then mines a 2.4 a is normally on boost when driving to work.

Comment

something to do with alowing built up gases to leave the turbo and let the engine cool down properly. im sure its been said already though.
                personally i think every turbo car should have one. they dont have to cost a lot and they only prolong the life of your turbo and engine so in the long run they are worth it.
                plus they are cool :gring2:

EDIT: they are safe to use and theft proof. the engine will cut out if the handbrake is released or if its put in gear without the key in the ignition.
                but you might get some dimwit car thief trying his luck thinking if he just smashes the window he can drive off with it only to find out he cant and then you are left with a broken window.....but atleast you still have you car!
                doubt that would ever happen though
                Last edited by goodcat; 13 October 2009, 20:41.

Comment

what is a turbo timer?
                  A very fast stopwatch.

Comment

However will probably invalidate your insurance
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                      私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                        Keys in your possesion an soon as handbrake released engine cuts - hard to prove it was running when thief got in.

Plus unless evey mod you have done is declared - it would be invalid anyway

Comment

are they tricky to wire in?
                          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Nope not for you, you just need the correct wiring harness for it.

Comment

You get more of a faggot every week.
                              Buy a shovel a tow strap or better still some camping plates and mugs and stop faffing around with boy racer shit
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X