Noisy Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Clutch

My clutch is sometimes noisy when I hold it down.
    Apparently it's a thrust bearing that's not lubricated ?, and it's the one you can't get to without taking the clutch apart/

How much is a mechanic likely to charge for taking the clutch apart and fixing this noise ?

Will I need any bits that need to be replaced when a clutch is removed ?
    Is it worth getting the clutch serviced or any parts replaced while it is open ?

Originally posted by rob88
    My clutch is sometimes noisy when I hold it down.
    Apparently it's a thrust bearing that's not lubricated ?, and it's the one you can't get to without taking the clutch apart/

How much is a mechanic likely to charge for taking the clutch apart and fixing this noise ?

Will I need any bits that need to be replaced when a clutch is removed ?
    Is it worth getting the clutch serviced or any parts replaced while it is open ?
    the bearing will come with the clutch kit, so you may as well just replace the whole clutch as you've got to drop the box to get at it anyway.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

hello rob. i would personally replace the full clutch at the same time at least you will know its been replaced it wont cost any much more in labour.
      clutch kit from milners for the 2.4 is £89.50 + vat
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Is it something I could do myslef with haines manual and some tools, or do I need special tools, ramps and skills ?

Comment

Originally posted by rob88
          Is it something I could do myslef with haines manual and some tools, or do I need special tools, ramps and skills ?
          only need an alignment tool... (or do it by eye!)
          it's pretty straight forward but can be quite a big job... not sure how they go together on these... put it this way, on my old cavalier i did a clutch in a proper fitted workshop with a ramp... took 5 hrs!!... the type with the inspection panel on the bellhousing take 20 mins!...
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

get hold of 2 pairs of ramps for the surf to sit on, this will give you more room to work. WARNING the surf weighs just under 2 tonnes
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
              only need an alignment tool... (or do it by eye!)
              it's pretty straight forward but can be quite a big job... not sure how they go together on these... put it this way, on my old cavalier i did a clutch in a proper fitted workshop with a ramp... took 5 hrs!!... the type with the inspection panel on the bellhousing take 20 mins!...
              For an alignment tool I have used an appropriate sized piece of pipe (measure it up while the gearbox is out). Needs to be the right size to fit in the flywheel locating hole. Then just wind tape around in the right place to get the right diameter to locate the clutch plate and pressure plate.

Cheers

Comment

When you change the clutch you should also replace the spigot bearing which is in the end of the crankshaft. Also a good idea to replace the rear oil seal on the crankshaft at the same time and if you have a dual mass flywheel you should at least check that the inner plate is not loose or cracked.

Comment

Working...
                X