surfing wannabe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surfing wannabe

Hi all. Just joined this forum to get the ins and outs on these hilux's. I have never owned one but have fancied one for a while so once i sell my import legacy gt i might get one. All i have learned so far is i want a 3.0 diesel and its gotta be manual, cant stand autos. One thing i cant work out is whats the difference between a surf and a 4-runner? Anyway, thats about it so far so please feel free to treat me as an idiot and give me all the nitty gritty on these great lookin cars. cheers.

welcome to the mad house

Basically the difference is Surf begins with S and 4Runner begins with 4.

One made for the UK market and as such you dont get most of the extra stuff on a Runner which is standard on a Surf, cup holder, air con etc.
    Still get all the electric windows and mirrors.
    Most of the parts are the same and can be sourced readily.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Welcome to the mad house .......... beware the hedgehog
      ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

"Can't stand autos"! Can't understand why, but you need to try both with a Surf and you may be surprised! You may find a manual slightly more difficult to source - but then I am probably wrong there

Cheers, Nick
        "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Originally posted by nomis View Post
          All i have learned so far is i want a 3.0 diesel and its gotta be manual, cant stand autos.
          I wouldn't decide against the auto's unless you've actually tried an auto Surf. They aren't half as bad as people imagine.

Comment

Hi Simon and welcome, as Matt said, don't dismiss the auto until you've tried it...depends on whay you want to do with it, for me, offroading in a manual would scare the cotton trolleys off me, I can't do riverdance....

Have a good look around and take your time before you buy one, it's very much a buyers market, so see whay you can get away with when you make an offer too...
            Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Hey Andy, 6n half years with a manual is long enough for anybody ...
              Auto it is Now n forever !!!!
              Try em both !!

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n don't know when tho !!!!
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanx for the welcome folks. I know what your sayin about autos but i've had auto cars before and i just dont like them. At work they've given me an auto truck and i HATE IT!!!!! It suits some vehicles such as motorway cruisers but trucks, 4x4's, sports cars? NO!

Comment

AFAICS, manual Surfs are way less common than the autos.

I went from a manual Legacy to an auto Surf, and love the auto, just so easy to cruse about and I don't fancy big heavy clutches. Plus the Surf ain't exactly a sports car. Anyway, you pays your money...

4 Runners of the same age will have been exposed to more of the UK weather / salted roads, so will prob be in less good shape, so not worth as much IMHO unless you find a good un.

Comment

Agree with manual on a sports car, but on anything else I'd take an auto ANY day! All that changing gear and clutching in stop / go traffic, how bl00dy working class!

(And before I had the Surf, I thought I hated autos too)
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

dude nice to see more local face's turning up
                      if ya need owt mate giz a shout
                      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

I could do with some, how much for a kilo of owt or is it sold by the gallon?

Comment

A manual surf would be better than this total GIT of a car i seem to lumbered with. If anyone ever offers you a peugot 306 sedan.................punch them and run away. Its worse than the corsa and that was capable of making me weep. The only bright spot on the horizon, is that i have swapped that for a small diesel van...............just need to somehow get it up here

oh and try an auto new fella.you may be surprised.
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                            dude nice to see more local face's turning up
                            if ya need owt mate giz a shout
                            aye, cheers. i gotta get this legacy repaired and sold then i can get a hilux. Those are the instructions from the mrs anyway. I got one i wanna buy but rules is rules.

Comment

Working...
                            X