yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the disadvantages of MT tyres on road??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the disadvantages of MT tyres on road??

I have been looking for some second hand 31's for a while and not really found any affordable for me of the look I want (which is with white lettering...sorry!). Up until now I have only been looking at A/T tyres but could broaden my chances of finding something suitable by considering M/T's too. I mostly drive on the road and had always thought M/T's resulted in poor handling, through recent investigations I have heard this is not always true plus they are good in the wet on road right?? So what exactly are the disadvantages of M/T's apart from a bit more road noise??
    Many thanks.

Noise is the biggest problem i have
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Mosty....
      Wear quickly
      Road Noise
      Slight hit on MPG
      Braking performance in the wet

A lot depends on what you buy, I think something like a BFG M/T suffers far less of the above points then cheaper brands of M/T's, in fact i'd rate them above some of the proper budget A/T's in every point above apart from MPG.

They look great, and work very well offroad, especially on slippery mud/clay that clogs the gaps in A/T tyres.

You have to honest with yourself, do you really NEED M/T's for the offroading your doing? verses how much the truck is used on the road?

If its a daily driver, i'd got with good A/T's, say the BFG's again, the 33's on Linda truck have never let us down offroad anywhere, and we've driven all round the country on them for the last 2 years and have nearly 30k miles on them.

If its a second car, then M/T's will probably be fine and last longer as you'll not be using it all the time.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Tyre wear, they won’t last as long as AT’s.

Speed rating, MT’s generally are not suited to motorway speeds.
        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Disadvantages -

1) Noise
          2) Wear (and thus long term cost)
          3) Fuel consumption
          4) Can produce some dodgy handling depending on what you buy - some make it feel like your steering is connected via elastic bands.

Worst of all...

5) Small boys hang round you, thus lending you the appearance of a paedophile.

If you aren't offroading lots, and when you do if its not pay and play or salisbury Plain, you probably dont really need them. If you do lots of road miles (particularly motorways - I stopped using motorways when I had Baja Claw copies on!), you'll quickly come to hate having mud tyres on.

As Tony said, get comfortable with your own sexuality, and once you realise that your penis is OK size wise, you'll get some decent ATs
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            Disadvantages -

5) Small boys hang round you, thus lending you the appearance of a paedophile.

'tis true, they are about the only ones who are impressed. My girlfriend thinks I'm a #### when I get a proud little smirk when a small child says 'wow look at the monster truck'
            Sadly, women seem less impressed with the height or indeed girth of your tyres and however knobbly they are it still leaves them cold.

Having said all this I still hold that Kumho KL71's are in terms of road holding as good as the AT's I had (or havent been noticably worse since I have had them. But will certainly wear out sooner. They do however look the dogs danglies. Just ask little Timmy

Comment

They look butch. What other reason do you need? Sod noise or M.P.G. Those are girlie considerations.

Comment

BFG Muds are no more noisey then ATs.
                Kumho kl71, mudzilla, maxxis ect are like running on cattle grids.
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                  BFG MTs are the same pattern as Kumho Road Ventures, which I have on my other wheels. They are noisier than my BFG ATs, though not hugely. Mind you, on green lanes, they're not noticeable 'better' either.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                    They look butch. What other reason do you need? Sod noise or M.P.G. Those are girlie considerations.
                    YOU might need to look butch to cover other inadequacies...

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                      Don't know about the others but unless I'm going deaf (blind would make more sense to be honest) I really don't get much difference in noise from my KL71's than I did from my AT's (2 of which were BFG's)

It may be the special powers afforded by paying subs
                      Last edited by biosurf; 29 April 2009, 15:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                        YOU might need to look butch to cover other inadequacies...
                        I said the tyres look butch. I personally just look like a bag of shite which has been dragged through a hedge backwards and then kicked around a bit for good measure.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                          im with the ginger dildo on that!!

I'm not sure why the attitude of looking cool is sh!t on.. why can't a guy be content with his penis... an then some!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                            I'm not sure why the attitude of looking cool is sh!t on
                            One man's "cool" is most other people's "like a dick"

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                              One man's "cool" is most other people's "like a dick"
                              Would that be a big or little dick though?

Comment

Working...
                              X