yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my hilux - mileage clocking issues, price i paid etc....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my hilux - mileage clocking issues, price i paid etc....

hi, i've just bought a 1997 hilux surf 3.0 auto for 5000pound. i was told it was mint, looked like a 6 month old vehicle and had done 46000 miles (74000k).

when i recieved the hilux the bodywork is outstanding condition for the year and i am pleased with this. inside is excellent apart from the carpet has mud staind.

the engine is excellent and under bonnet looks new. to drive it though, the suspension is flat at the front and not so good. the brakes feel a bit spongy and the steering seems to drift a bit.

i could renew the steering idler, change suspension and work on the brakes. but then i noticed that the cambelt change sticker says 80500 in july 2004! at that mileage the vehicle would have more likely covered 13000km by now = 70-80000 miles, not the 46000 advertised.

trading standards are looking into it and are going to visit me to check the vehicle. the law says (because it's not as described and advertised), that i can get all my money back.

the trader has offered me 500 pounds back but i say that for that type of mileage the vehicle would be worth more like 3500 to 4000 pounds.

he is adamant that the mileage is probably correct and doesn't think it's been clocked at all.

i've sent 30 quid to bimta who verify the mileage from japan and the dealer was happy to wait for the results for me to decide what to do.

the thing is i do love the vehicle and it is in amazing condition. if the mileage turns out to be in the 7000's should i try and knock him down and keep it? what would it be worth etc?

thanks,
    nige

I wouldnt have paid 5K for a surf..... you can get them for half that!

the 3.0 engines will do 250000 miles without any problems as long as they are serviced regularly

80500kms is a lot more than 46000miles (54000)

Comment

Sounds like you've been stiffed mate. Just take it back and demand your money back. You can do better than that pricewise anyway, cos Surf's are ten-a-penny these days.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I paid £3300 for a '96 with 96000km on the clock 15months ago and they're much cheaper now. Personally, unless the dealer would refund at least £1500, I'd return it and look elsewhere. There have been some stunning, cheap 3rd gens in the for sale section recently.

Comment

Originally posted by nige2009 View Post
          hi, i've just bought a 1997 hilux surf 3.0 auto for 5000pound. i was told it was mint, looked like a 6 month old vehicle and had done 46000 miles (74000k).

when i recieved the hilux the bodywork is outstanding condition for the year and i am pleased with this. inside is excellent apart from the carpet has mud staind.

the engine is excellent and under bonnet looks new. to drive it though, the suspension is flat at the front and not so good. the brakes feel a bit spongy and the steering seems to drift a bit.

i could renew the steering idler, change suspension and work on the brakes. but then i noticed that the cambelt change sticker says 80500 in july 2004! at that mileage the vehicle would have more likely covered 13000km by now = 70-80000 miles, not the 46000 advertised.

trading standards are looking into it and are going to visit me to check the vehicle. the law says (because it's not as described and advertised), that i can get all my money back.

the trader has offered me 500 pounds back but i say that for that type of mileage the vehicle would be worth more like 3500 to 4000 pounds.

he is adamant that the mileage is probably correct and doesn't think it's been clocked at all.

i've sent 30 quid to bimta who verify the mileage from japan and the dealer was happy to wait for the results for me to decide what to do.

the thing is i do love the vehicle and it is in amazing condition. if the mileage turns out to be in the 7000's should i try and knock him down and keep it? what would it be worth etc?

thanks,
          nige
          97 =3rd gen = no steering idler ,brakes allways seem a bit spongy till you get used to them, or change pads etc ,
          low mileage trucks from japan take with a pinch of salt
          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

some pics of the surf

most of my family and friends are saying I should keep it coz of the condition. I would not have ever paid 5000 for a surf with mileage in the 70000's --- because 46000 is so low and he said it was mint I decided to pay the extra.

Even 4000 pound is a lot if it's the higher mileage so I don't know what to do.

I'm still waiting for the BIMTA results.

here are some pics:
            Attached Files

Comment

Black is just so "common" now days.

P.S.
              I payed over the odds for mine 3 years ago but it has never let me down & apart from general wear & tear items being replaced it is fantastic & im so glad i bought it.

If it checks out ok & its not a ringer & your happy with it, then keep it if your planning on owning it for a long time.

Service it regular & it will run forever.
              Last edited by si tate; 8 April 2009, 23:15.
              If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

2 more pics

here:
                Attached Files

Comment

AHH, that is not the 3.0L turbo engine.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                    If it checks out ok & its not a ringer & your happy with it, then keep it if your planning on owning it for a long time.
                    That's probably my problem. I don't know if I will keep it long and in the back of my mind is 'will I be able to get my money back if I sell on'.

from all the answers here it looks like it's probably worth about 4000 pounds tops.

I don't think it's a ringer but do think it's been clocked...

I'll attach the pic of the cambelt change sticker which dates back to july 2004 + plus of the clock now...
                    Attached Files

Comment

The thing with these trucks is they can very easily be clocked but if you don't remove all evidence .ie. stickers & such then the seller gets caught out & the alarm bells start ringing in your head.

Comment

AHH, that is not the 3.0L turbo engine.
                        which engine is it?

Comment

Originally posted by nige2009 View Post
                          which engine is it?
                          Only joking, just thought i'd give you a heart attack

Comment

Only joking, just thought i'd give you a heart attack
                            cheers

To be fair the engine looks and runs excellent.

I think that the surf was probably garaged and well looked after throughout it's lifetime. The bodywork is mint it's just the fact that it's clocked that freaked me.

it may be a case for

Comment

Where was the Cambelt change sticker........was it on something that might have been replaced? (long shot I know)

Comment

Working...
                              X