what are these

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are these

c'mon then all you clever hardware/tradesman/people people. What are these called, or better still where can i get a few from?
    Attached Files
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Not sure but prob come under the heading of "fastners" thought they were
    rivnut type fittings at first (and may well be) but the nut looks to be welded on the plate, email an attachment photo to screwfix or similar and see what they say,

Just thought, i have a few similar ones called "bigheads" male and female if there any use, i'll stick a pic up tomorrow if you think they'll do,
    Last edited by POPEYE; 1 April 2009, 19:20.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Hi, you can get them from a good marine canopy maker, i have about 20 of the screw in type if you want them.
      www.furryfriendsinneed.com

Comment

Originally posted by greecysurf View Post
        Hi, you can get them from a good marine canopy maker, i have about 20 of the screw in type if you want them.
        They look a lot like the studs that were used for fastening the hood down on my MGB, so if you do no good at a chandlers try MG owners club.They have thier own shop but I would try a canopy maker or chandlers first.
        I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

Originally posted by Brummie View Post
          They look a lot like the studs that were used for fastening the hood down on my MGB, so if you do no good at a chandlers try MG owners club.They have thier own shop but I would try a canopy maker or chandlers first.

Think you may be refering to "lift the dot" fasteners, if so it's not them, we use LtD all the time.
          What are they used for and do you have better images, they're a bit (lot) blurred my end.
          Rod

Comment

sorry yeah, didn't realise the pictures were quite that bad.

They're basically a flat plate with a bit of tube on threaded internally. the plate is about 1" long, by 3/4" wide, and approx 1 mm thick. The thread is something around m8.

What it does, well it's part of a bikerack. There's like two bits of thinwall box section, one slides inside the other, to make a kinda telescopic/adjustable type affair so you can adjust the overall length to suit different size bikes. The outer bit of box has a hole drilled through, and the plate bit goes inside the box, and the tube bit sticks out through the hole. Then when the other bit of box is in place, you can screw the allen bolt right the way through the tube to push against the inner bit of box and hold the whole lot in place, if that makes any sense.

It's a kinda backwards captive nut, but with threaded tube rather than a traditional hex nut or square nut
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Bu##er me I must remember to wear my specs when looking at photos.I know the pictures wernt the best but I dont think they were that bad
              I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

The same for those in a timber fitting is like a T Nut. I just can't think of the name for metal ones.

Nev

Comment

Think I found some .

http://www.rosshandling.co.uk/metal-components.asp

Nev

Comment

Nev, you my friend, are a diamond. Those are the beasties, spot on
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

I knew wot they were all along, just wanted to see if anyone else did, you wont be needing the bigheads then?
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
                      X