Need a Surf for offroading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
    You learn how to read the plate attached to the bulk head - like the rest of us had to! Search my friend........
    surely the bulk head plate isn,t going to say whether the surf has an elocker or lsd ... if it does then those japs are very thoughtful....
    i x toyoyta surf 1 x toyota supra mk3 turbo auto

Comment

Originally posted by mkiiisupraowner View Post
      surely the bulk head plate isn,t going to say whether the surf has an elocker or lsd ... if it does then those japs are very thoughtful....
      if the axle code ends in a 5 it's LSD on a 2nd gen, axle codes on a 3rd gen are different i believe, but can still be deciphered to find out, if you look them up to find out. If it's got an e-locker there'll be a button to the right of the steering wheel or in the centre console marked 'E-locker' or something to that effect.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

As was said above, check the vin plate to see whether it was fitted with an LSD.

...alternatively...I believe they put stickers on the back of the diff (although a 14 year old sticker may be a little hard to read) to indicate that as an LSD it requires different diff oil.

....the elocker thing came about as I have been reading a lot of forums (both uk and us) regarding the 3rd gen surfs and 4runners and came across some retrofit elocker details (e.g. http://yotatech.com/f2/e-locker-retr...rd-gen-151537/).

I have found a breakers with a surf with an LSD (or so he says).......however, he wants £350 just for the diff.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
          ....the elocker thing came about as I have been reading a lot of forums (both uk and us) regarding the 3rd gen surfs and 4runners and came across some retrofit elocker details (e.g. http://yotatech.com/f2/e-locker-retr...rd-gen-151537/).

I have found a breakers with a surf with an LSD (or so he says).......however, he wants £350 just for the diff.....
          Follow the other links in that post - some really useful info - there is a lot of work retro fitting elockers plus they are as rare as rocking horse shyte. But it is the most elegant solution if you want to fit lockers.

In an old LSD the clutch plates will probably be worn out and need replacing. At which point you might as well toss an Aussie locker in there coz you'll have the diff in bits.......

But then you can just toss an Aussie locker in your current diff anyways and not bother risking buying a diff that may have the wrong ratio....

Or spend mega bucks on ARB air lockers, but they are very very good.......

Ahhh, endless fun and games........

Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
          X