Need a Surf for offroading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Surf for offroading

Looking for a surf for around £2000. All the ones round here seem to be gen 3which is best to modify. I know it has to be a 3L. (Do the Gen 3 have a rear locker like the Land Cruiser Colorado)
    Cheers Bill

Is the "which is best to modify" a statement about the 3rd gen, or a question about which of the Surfs is better to modify?

I think to keep costs down and extend your options for mods, spares from breakers etc, then go for a 2nd gen - if you like plastic, then go for a 3rd gen - not sure if they have diff locks on them as standard though....
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

A nice 2nd gen like this one !

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=53106

Comment

Just to confirm that 3rd gens do not have a rear diff locker from standard.

Some (the lucky few) had an LSD as an option.

Some (incredibly rare ones) may have been fitted with an e-locker (electonically activated locking rear diff).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve169 View Post
          Its a long way to go from up here in the frozen North !

Must admit even a tight git like me has been tempted !
          Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Originally posted by billious View Post
            Looking for a surf for around £2000. All the ones round here seem to be gen 3which is best to modify. I know it has to be a 3L. (Do the Gen 3 have a rear locker like the Land Cruiser Colorado)
            Cheers Bill
            Ther are a lot of 2.4s up here but not many 3.0 ltr did you see the one on Autotrader ? its over at Harrogate Viewing by appointment only put me off

Comment

Originally posted by John h View Post
              Its a long way to go from up here in the frozen North !

Must admit even a tight git like me has been tempted !
              Well £1800 if you fancy a day out !!

Comment

I missed the one at Harrogate tried several times to get hold of him when I did it had gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
                  Just to confirm that 3rd gens do not have a rear diff locker from standard.

Some (the lucky few) had an LSD as an option.

Some (incredibly rare ones) may have been fitted with an e-locker (electonically activated locking rear diff).
                  sorry if this sounds dumb, how would one know if one had one of the above as there is no manual or bugger all really that comes with the imports, especially if your new to them.... like me
                  i x toyoyta surf 1 x toyota supra mk3 turbo auto

Comment

Originally posted by Steve169 View Post
                    Well £1800 if you fancy a day out !!
                    Sorry Mate the train fare is extortionate !

It would be quicker to drive, and the only time I come that far down is when we either go to Yeovilton for the Airshow or Culdrose to scrounge Seaking bits

good luck with the sale

Comment

Originally posted by John h View Post
                      Sorry Mate the train fare is extortionate !

It would be quicker to drive, and the only time I come that far down is when we either go to Yeovilton for the Airshow or Culdrose to scrounge Seaking bits

good luck with the sale
                      No probs, I work at those places from time to time though. It's a small world !

Comment

So with your connections at these establishments, you could arrange to have a C130 bring the truck to East Mids and then I can pick it up ?

Comment

Originally posted by mkiiisupraowner View Post
                          sorry if this sounds dumb, how would one know if one had one of the above as there is no manual or bugger all really that comes with the imports, especially if your new to them.... like me
                          You learn how to read the plate attached to the bulk head - like the rest of us had to! Search my friend........

Never heard of a 3rd Gen with rear elocker though. They have a locking centre diff as part of the AWD/4WD option. Colorados yup - centre and rear maybe (under the skin a 3rd Gen anyway). So your best bet is to get a cheap Colorado. The import Prados are unlikely to have rear locking diffs, but you never know, they were an option.

Actually, your best bet is to get a cheap LC80, but I will declare a slight bias lol
                          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

been to look at a gen 3 tonight but it looked like it has had a hard life !

Comment

Was it local ?

Comment

Working...
                              X