tail gate motor - warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tail gate motor - warning

for those who did not read my earlier post please have a read of the following....
    my rear window packed in tonight so began fault finding....

removed door card and found motor connector - unplugged and tested for power present - ok. so motor n/g. removed motor and tested on spare battery - motor ok??? then noticed water dripping down my wrist from motor housing!
    I swapped the motor a few years ago - but used a motor from the non correct door ie had to mount it 180' out of position. this appears to be the problem and possible a warning to all others who intend to fit the motor in the wrong orientation.
    When the tail gate is shut the motor is in a vertical position. with a correct motor fitted the actual motor part of the assembly is at the top, however with a motor of the wrong orientation is fitted- the motor part is at the bottom - and can and will collect and hold water / condensation in the motor windings - shorting out at the least convienient moment. If the correct motor is fitted, the motor part is at the top so all water/condensation will not enter windings and drip downwards towards bottom of tailgate.
    Lukily I had a spare motor housing of the correct type - so simply swapped all gearing over to the spare unit, soldered on original plug, packed with grease and refitted. Now all ok.
    So the moral of the story....don't be tempted to fitted wrong motor - it will fit and work for a while - but each time it rains - your motor may fill with water - and eventually corrode the wire windings wrecking the motor.
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

But the wrong motor did last a few years?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

just fitted a "wrong one"

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
        just fitted a "wrong one"
        You'll be ok for a few years then
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Mine's a wrongun too - I did fit a new window seal when I stripped the tailgate out and put a new mech in though. Hopefully that will stop the tailgate filling up with water.

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            But the wrong motor did last a few years?
            Bearing in mind that this "wrong motor" was a new motor when fitted!
            I wouldn't be happy having to replace a window motor every couple of years on any other car.
            maybe the extra few quid for the right motor - even second hand from ebay - would proong the life of the motor beyond the life of the truck itself? - my truch is 14 years old and has all original motors in the doors. granted the tailgate motor has a lot more work to do - but I would have thought replacing it once during it's life was enough.
            Just trying to give the heads up to those in a similar situation.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
              Mine's a wrongun too - I did fit a new window seal when I stripped the tailgate out and put a new mech in though. Hopefully that will stop the tailgate filling up with water.

Rob.
              I don't thinks it a matter of tailgate filling up as much as the motor can collect and trap condensation and rot windings. as mine!!

Comment

Working...
              X