Electrical advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical advice please

I have an electric supply to an outside building, it is 6mm SWA cable terminating at a junction box which then carries on through in 6mm T&E. to a CU unit.The supply is protected by a 40 amp MCB.
    I wish to take a supply to another building.
    Can I take a supply from the junction Box using 6mm SWA?
    If so what is the best way to tap into the existing supply.ie. connector strip
    or fit a new junction box, if so what type.
    Thanks for any replies.
    Trust your Hound.

Hi

Hi, believe that as long as the cable is correctly glanded into a suitable terminal enclosure and the mcb is suitably sized to protect the cable from overload, a connector block will be perfectly adequate.

By law though, you should be using a suitably qualified electrician to carry out this work

Comment

Short answer is that these days "YOU" can't do anything unless you are qualified to do so. Anything like this in the house needs to be done by an electrician.

Having said that, if I was doing this "before" the regs changed then I would have linked it into the original junction box (provided it was big enough to take the addition 6mm cable) and run that in SWA to the new building, on the basis that the original supply from the main CU in the house was off a fused connection and that that fuse was rated suffient to take the additional load. If the junction box wasn't big enough, then I'd have bought a new one that was big enough and substituted it for the old box.

But then I'm not qualified, so I couldn't do any of that these days.

Edit. Potif just beat me to it!
      Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
        Short answer is that these days "YOU" can't do anything unless you are qualified to do so. Anything like this in the house needs to be done by an electrician.

Having said that, if I was doing this "before" the regs changed then I would have linked it into the original junction box (provided it was big enough to take the addition 6mm cable) and run that in SWA to the new building, on the basis that the original supply from the main CU in the house was off a fused connection and that that fuse was rated suffient to take the additional load. If the junction box wasn't big enough, then I'd have bought a new one that was big enough and substituted it for the old box.

But then I'm not qualified, so I couldn't do any of that these days.

Edit. Potif just beat me to it!
        Thanks for the answers. (Just needed to check I had done it correctly before the new regs came in)grin3:
        Trust your Hound.

Comment

Working...
        X