Greenlaning insurance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
    Answering, just chatting, not being a knob...

You've lost me? I said you can offroad your road truck with very little chance of damaging it, even at a tough technical offorad site, depending on how you drive. Like we have for years

It does, but not much if you're easy on the throttle and are man enough to back out of a tough bit, rather than keep beating your truck on it.

offorading isn't just competing, its getting off the tarmac and using the truck for how it was designed.

Not if you have something to say, carry on. If your just going say, "offroading is only launching you truck into a hole at full chat..." you're going get people dissagreeing with you, and deserve it.

Totally agree!

Years ago, a group of us did an advanced offroad driving course run by Landrover (as it was recommended by H&S and our employers insurance company) because we were driving offroad in the UK and abroad in the course of our work. Mostly, there was nothing difficult about what we were doing (though I did have to tow a muppet out of a dry desert riverbed over loose rock and sand once after he burried himself to the axles in sand after giving it too much gas) but the chaps at LR drummed into us that the whole point was to GET WHERE WE NEEDED TO GO in a road truck (even on road bias tyres) and that took time, skill on the controls and an appreciation of the terrain. More often than not, heavy boot on the throttle was not the way to go.

It was still offroading, but I'm happy to say I've never broken my truck beyond squashing the original exhaust because it's the departure angle limit, and busting an already leaking shock. Funny thing is, I've got to the same places 99% of the time that people who regularly break stuff get to

I would imagine that, even in competition, the person who is a few seconds slower, but doesn't break their machinery every other event is likely to amass more points. It's certainly the way in rallying.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
    X