WVO Filtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biosurf
    If the oil is emusifying at the Tam, then you need to settle for longer I use clear pipe straight after the pump to identify any oil emusifying before it hits the filters.
    Nice Davey B set up, wont take long to get it covered in oil once you start using it.
    Get some insulation on those barrels to speed things up.

Comment

So far I settled each barrel for 2 weeks after heating. Not sure if it was the TAM that was the problem or the drill pump (small vanes moving faster)
      When I HPT it doesnt spit but does foam briefly (air?) However, it does look cloudy and when taken indoors it eventually clears which would imply traces of fats still present?
      Trying less reliance on the drill pump this time.
      Annoyingly my BES stats even when turned up to max seem to plateau at 56 degrees by the reckoning of my IR thermometer??

Comment

When you say Foaming do you see a number of small bubbles forming were the heat is being applied ? if so this is the free water being boiled that forms these bubbles.
        For the stat have a look on Graham Lmmings web page he shows how to adjust at stat to run up to 90
        My oil turned to custard when using a drill pump to transfer from delivery barrels to filter barrels.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

Wow Paul, like he said! impressive set up mate, looks like a real oil refinery
          makes mine look "wanting",
          mines gravity fead and it's ok, being of a tight fisted nature i always thought by fitting heaters/pumps etc and increasing the leccy bill your perhaps defeating to object of saveing money on the diesel bill, (unless your plugged into next doors) plus i've central heating in there so it's not cold,
          the filters are 50micron and 10micron, plus the prefilter, (paper towel)

As with all things that req wrist action you got to watch your hand dose'nt slip off and hit the wall, so slow action is best, less skimming the knuckles
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by GIRDLES View Post
            When you say Foaming do you see a number of small bubbles forming were the heat is being applied ? if so this is the free water being boiled that forms these bubbles.
            Bugger thought you might say that
            For the stat have a look on Graham Lmmings web page he shows how to adjust at stat to run up to 90
            Cool, I'll do that
            My oil turned to custard when using a drill pump to transfer from delivery barrels to filter barrels.
            Hmm.. shame its so much easier when collecting. Do central heating pumps have the same effect of are they preferable. Takes ages rotary pumping it!
            Hope this helps.

Comment

Biosurf
              The system you have is tried and tested,and it works well.
              The initial filling of the drums will not be a problem using the drill pump, all machanical pumps will emulsify the oil if it contains water. When you have nearly full drum turn on your heat make sure you dont overfill as the oil expands and will overflow the barrel. (done it)
              Get it to 60 ish then settle lag the barrels it makes it heat up quicker and stay hot longer and more water drops out.

Popeye the cost of heating 200ltrs to 60 I think is less than a quid dont quote me on that.

Comment

barrels are lagged just not in the pic so maybe its not getting to a bigh enough temp. I'll try grahams site to sort out the stats

Comment

Re

Great setups guys.
                  I wish I was as neat as you guy's.
                  My setup is being evicted/banished to my mates farm. The wife seems to think the garage belongs to her.

Central heating pumps wont pump very cold Veggie, I have to heat mine to get up pumping at all. Once its starts moving tho they are very good they dont seem to cavitate so no custard. They dont spin very fast but shift a good volume.

I got a couple off Ebay for a tenner the pair, stripped them down wire brushed the inside of the chambers and then treated with rust killer before spraying with Hammerite. The rotor part can be knocked out easily for cleaning and once in use they are lubricated with veggie, should last a lifetime.

After reading an Australian blog I fitted an inline heater chambe, so I heat the oil when its on the move, still have to heat the tank slightly to get it moving to start with. But the oil heats quite quickly especially when its on its way to the centrifuge which has quite a slow feed so gets very hot and I hope vaporises the water.

With a tank heater you have to remember to turn the heater off when pumping out of the tank cuz when the oil gets below the heater it glows red and an awful lot of smoke comes out just before it goes up. I know just caught mine twice
                  At least the volume in the inline ally tank with 10mm walls is small.

I pump my stuff thro a home made motor driven centrufuge to take the last bits out. Pics of the finished centrufuge posted.

My swirl tank is working great now, pics if anyone is interested.
                  John

PS
                  How do you make your pictures show up in the post, mine just goes as a list of files???
                  Attached Files

Comment

Pic's are comeing up fine, all i do to post pics is click on manage attachments below, select the file you want ie surf pics!, click thumbnails and select a pic, click on the pic,then click open, then upload and if your byte size is ok it'll load and post as a thumnail, repeat for extra pics before you submit the post, if the size is too big you can join photobucket or similar site's and load it as a big pic from there, this site will resize it automatically so you dont have to stand 10 ft away to see it all, as i said before mate it looks complicated but it's good work, the missis has banished eh! they just done get it do they? a garage is a man thing! the last bastion of male supreamacy, the place where ya can go and be alone after a dam good barney with the wife
                    Last edited by POPEYE; 14 February 2009, 19:21.

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                      Pic's are comeing up fine, as i said before mate it looks complicated but it's good work, the missis has banished eh! they just done get it do they? a garage is a man thing! the last bastion of male supreamacy, the place where ya can go and be alone after a dam good barney with the wife
                      yea but in his case he's got the warm house when his mrs goes to the garage
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

The Garage

Would either of you two guys like to come and explain it to my wife cuz I aint got the guts. Hehe

She says the house is hers also.

Comment

Not bl00dy likley John, cant stand the sight of blood, especially mine!
                          them indoors are always right! (or think they are)

Comment

This is a drawing of my set-up. I would take pics but my garage is too cramped. It is very slow at this time of the year but the garage block has a black tar roof and the storage boxes are against the Southwest facing wall. It all trickles though nicely. I currently have more WVO than I can filter as I got 80L from near work last week and another 200L, from near Oxford, when I went to see my brother on Friday.

I have to get in the shed and finish my heat exchanger for the truck, then I will be able to run 100% once the 20L dino tank is plumbed in inder the Surf.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 15 February 2009, 15:02.
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Fatty oil

Hi Guy's

I followed Girdles tip and ran some fliers out and picked up another supplier (An Italian restaurant ) and a promise from a pub.

I also got a Chinese restaurant but when I collected this week and tried to filter I found it has so much fat even a 400 filter clogs in seconds.

Any idea as to what I can do with this. I cant see the point in heating it just to filter it cuz the fat may melt and filter but it will just go thick again when it cools.

What should I do, do you think this will make bio or should I just dump it and not collect again????
                              john

Comment

The whites or fats that settle out will make Bio for SUMMER use, even after being made into Bio the fats will still solidify when its cold.

Comment

Working...
                                X