Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warnings

Thanks for the warnings guy's.
    I have changed my mind on the plastic drum idea. I have found some 225 ltr Galvanised Steel drums on ebay so am going with one of them.

The only trouble with the thermal switches is that they still wont trip if the heater becomes uncovered and glows, like I have had twice with my veggie.

I am going to use a strapon tank stat for temp setting or I might build an electronic temp control. I have just bought from ebay a job lot of 5 handheld digital thermometers that go up to 150c (they have a spike at the back that you stick into things you want to check the temp of, so will fit a 10mm blanked of copper tube in the side of the tank so I can stick one of these in, to check the temperature)

I might even try making an inline one like I did for my veggie cooker. You can see them in Grahams writeup. There is a guy somewhere that makes em.
    If I knew where I could get 12ins of copper or steel pipe with a 3inch ID I could braze one up in an hour.
    John

Comment

Heater

Just had a thought, if you wrap some thick copper or other wire around the heater element and also around the stat pocket so that there is a thermal connection between the heated element and the thermostat pocket the stat is going to sense the high temp rise very quickly even without any oil around it.
      It should trip quite rapidly, it would be better than the way it is now.

You just have to leave plenty of space for the oil to circulate.

John

Comment

Working...
      X