WVO Filtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WVO Filtering

My state of the art Waste veg oil filtering system is now on line and opperating at 100% capacity, as you see it's two "areoplane" brand mango chutney drums each about 30lts (big time producer) piped to two "greenteam" filter unit's one at 50m and other at 10m, made two sight glasses so i can see the state of things without buggering about getting the lids off, still giveing it a prefilter through a funnel and paper hand towel till i find a decent fine mesh strainer, out the garden tap at the bottom and into the truck, already had the hand pump which works well, ya dont have to beat yaself to death to get it up there, nice steady crank is all ya need
    all i need now is a nice regular supply
    Attached Files
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

I bl**dy love your projects!!

Comment

Comment

You've done it all wrong mate the whole setup is a shambles, tell ya what i'll do for you as a favour, i'll drive all the way to yours & take it off your hands for free & you can start again.

I know it will cost me a fortune in dyno but hey i don't mind.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
          You've done it all wrong mate the whole setup is a shambles, tell ya what i'll do for you as a favour, i'll drive all the way to yours & take it off your hands for free & you can start again.

I know it will cost me a fortune in dyno but hey i don't mind.

Ermmmmmm!!!!!!!! No

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
            Ermmmmmm!!!!!!!! No
            Did'nt think so.

Nice neat tidy set up mate, i like it alot, if you could'nt tell.

Are you heating it in any way before you filter?
            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Looks like it will filter ok, Check the water content before you put it in the motor just heat a pan and see if it bubbles or sizzles of it does its got water. You will need to let it settle longer.

Comment

Aye cheers, i have'nt heated it or fitted a heater in the system, for one thing i dont get enough oil to bother with going the whole hog, i was gonna rig up a loop from the central heating to warm it a bit but never bothered, it's been sat for several weeks and i did find some "white" solids in the bottom of one can, hopeing this set up will filter it enough to just add to derv as a 50/50 mix,

Comment

I'm just settling my waste oil while its cold. Got about 200 litres of so in the roofspace of the garage.

Wont be filtering, or using it until the weather gets a bit warmer. My fuel bill should drop significantly this spring!
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Stupid question time:

So..you hand crank the oil up into the top tank, and it filters through into the lower one by going through the two filters in the middle.

Is this purely gravity fed, e.g. there is no pump on it other than the one to get it up to the top tank?

(Being well into my tropical fish I have a spare RO water unit with 3 filters in.....I'll have to see how micron'ed they are).

Comment

Dunno what Ian uses, but I use 50 micron and 10 micron - I think. Gravity fed is fine.

From memory, RO for water is much smaller than that and will clog in no time, and I doubt will gravity feed.

The canisters are only a tenner each so its not worth wrecking your fishkeeping gear.

Comment

Meant to post my build and forgot, I went a bit nuts with a couple of heating and settling tanks, each with immersions to heat the oil and separate the water better. Alloil pumps though a £35 TAM105 pump through 250/125/80 micron filters after heating to 60 degrees and settiling for a couple of weeks in tank one. then allow to settle for a week in tank two and pump through 20/5 micron filters and into a container for chucking in the surf. 10% petrol increases the viscosity by 50% which helps in this weather and a capful of veggie boost for every few litres replaces the lost cetane level from adding the petrol and brings it back to roughly diesel cetane levels.

In some ways though, I feel that the leccy pumps have the potential to emulsify the oil and suspended water so if you have the space and/or tim e to gravity feed and your oil is good enough this may be better?

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                          ya dont have to beat yaself to death to get it up there, nice steady crank is all ya need
                          Wise words. How is your wrist, Rod?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                            Wise words. How is your wrist, Rod?

Comment

###### hell mate, thats an impressive setup!

Comment

Working...
                              X