No announcement yet.

Atkins Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find that smoking before a big meal helps to curb your appitite so I don't eat as much!

BUt seriously - I lost a few stones a few years back by leaving food on my plate and chewing slowly. Sounds daft but your stomach tells your brain you are full after ten mins of chewing / swallowing no matter how much you eat. I ate all the same foods - but left around 15 - 20% of my meal on my plate when i felt full. - that is full as in content - not uncomfortable or stuffed.
    lost around 2 lbs a week. - also drank lots of cordial soft drinks or water rather than fizzy pop - red wine instead of guiness etc etc. and took to walking fast reguarily with the dogs rather than just trodding the path.

Thing is - all the money I saved on smoking went on buying new smaller clothes!!
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

It's been said above - small changes to lifestyle can stick in the long run, where a diet never will. And once your body realises that it's in a lose/gain/lose/gain situation, it will learn to pack the weight on fast as when you start eating again - around the waist, thighs etc (& bum, if you're a woman!) so you'll often end up worse than you started. Also as your lifestyle gets healthier, you'll crave less fat, salt etc.

Use public transport more, walk to the shops and carry everything back a couple of times a week, walk the dog, get a bike and use it, cook food from scratch, eat less meat. Get a bread making machine - 2 mins throwing stuff in a tin in the evening, fresh cooked bread with no crap in it when you get up in the morning

As someone else said - Atkins is not healthy, it fundamentally screws with your body. Not good in the long run.
      Andy
      http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Running is def the best exercise to loose weight as it works ALL the muscles. I don't think anyone is too heavy or too big to run.
        I run 3 times a week at the gym (and use the Wii Fit the other nights) and so far I have lost 9kgs from the beginning of Nov '08. It makes you feel great!! As long as you start "training" your heart first, you will get fitter quite quickly. Been working with a personal trainer on this and have been amazed at the results! I obviously also watch what I eat and have cut all crap out of my diet. And the biggest surprise is that I don't even miss it (and I have a very bad sweet tooth!!) You can do other really simple things like opt for brown pasta and brown bread instead of white, don't eat later than 7:30 in the evening, and make sure that you eat a good breakfast etc....
        (A friend of mine tried the Kellogs 2 Week Challenge, and had a brilliant result - http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/whatson/sp...the-challenge/)

Have a look at this website for some brilliant tips and advice:
        http://www.therunningbug.co.uk/Forum.aspx

Good luck!!!
        Last edited by EvH; 26 January 2009, 22:32.
        "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

Originally posted by EvH View Post
          Running is def the best exercise to loose weight as it works ALL the muscles. I don't think anyone is too heavy or too big to run.
          I run 3 times a week at the gym (and use the Wii Fit the other nights) and so far I have lost 9kgs from the beginning of Nov '08. It makes you feel great!! As long as you start "training" your heart first, you will get fitter quite quickly. Been working with a personal trainer on this and have been amazed at the results! I obviously also watch what I eat and have cut all crap out of my diet. And the biggest surprise is that I don't even miss it (and I have a very bad sweet tooth!!)

Have a look at this website for some brilliant tips and advice:
          http://www.therunningbug.co.uk/Forum.aspx

Good luck!!!
          I thought that accolade was held by swimming and sex?
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            I thought that accolade was held by swimming and sex?
            Ok, ok, I DO agree on that point....
            But the sex bit would depend on how willing the partner is??? With running you only need yourself!!
            "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

Ok, ok, I DO agree on that point....
              But the sex bit would depend on how willing the partner is??? With running you only need yourself!!
              There is a reply to that!

Comment

There is a reply to that!
                Uhm, if we are on the same wavelength, then the problem with that is that you will end up exercising only one arm?
                "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

Uhm, if we are on the same wavelength, then the problem with that is that you will end up exercising only one arm?
                  We're on the same wavelength...

Comment

We're on the same wavelength...
                    See, now THAT kind of exercise is gonna get you exactly nowhere!!! It will just make you lopsided with one big arm!!!
                    "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

See, now THAT kind of exercise is gonna get you exactly nowhere!!! It will just make you lopsided with one big arm!!!
                      Unless you're ambidextrous?

Comment

Unless you're ambidextrous?
                        So, you gonna have TWO big arms and rest of you will be flabby!!!! (oh, that just sounds wrong!!!)
                        Last edited by EvH; 26 January 2009, 23:02.
                        "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

So, you gonna have TWO big arms and rest of you will be flabby!!!! (oh, tjat just sounds wrong!!!)

Comment

I think we have sort of dragged this thread down into the gutter....

Sorry for highjacking your thread Hellmett!!
                            "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

you put more in than you use ya get fat put less in do a bit more and ya loose fat cant be a lot simpler than that

Comment

Originally posted by steve s View Post
                                you put more in than you use ya get fat put less in do a bit more and ya loose fat cant be a lot simpler than that
                                But didn't you hear on the news today that obesity is apparently caused by a virus????
                                (you can probably catch it at McDonalds )
                                "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

Working...
                                X