Minimum Spec Laptop To Run Memory Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum Spec Laptop To Run Memory Map

I'm thinking of buying an old laptop to run Memory Map on when I'm out green laning etc. I have an inverter in the truck so powering it is no problem. I don't want a big screen, 14" would be the max. So what minimum spec would you guys recommend? Also what type of GPS, wireless or wired?

Thanks for any advice.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

I've had it running on a bluetooth GPS Receiver

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I have a bluetooth GPS receiver and a bluetooth dongle Trev, just need a laptop to try them out on!

Comment

well my copy of MM states a set of minimum requirements that are decidedly set below low

Comment

i don't think it's particularly memory hungry, i'd just get a little webbook running xp, round about £170 or less if you look about, most have 1GB of ram and 80GB hard disk, but one running 512MB RAM and a small SSD would be fine for memory map i reckon. Install the program to the internal disk and put your maps on a memory card. Every one i've looked at have had card readers built in.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

I have a couple of SD card readers and cards here of at least 1gb should you need them.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
              I have a couple of SD card readers and cards here of at least 1gb should you need them.

Trev
              Cheers Trev, I've got cards and readers a plenty! What with cameras, phones and a Wii I've amassed quite a few cards.

I've got a cracking Sony Vaio Centrino laptop but don't want to use that. I'm basically after the cheapest option for the truck.

Comment

I have it running on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-28 with 1ghz processor and 3/4 gig memory. It will run with far less than this, would run on a 256mb memory 300mhz CF-27 quite easy, you can pick up one for less than 100 quid and it is unbreakable by all but the most heavy handed use - running it over with a 42 ton truck.

Comment

Dude, it runs on my phone, so any laptop should be fine.

Comment

can you not put mm on your sat/nav ?

Comment

ok i can answer my own question sat/navs are not recommended

Comment

im on a real old memory map.............comes in paperback form,i look at it ,memorise it and drive there !!
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

OK for the MM illiterate amongst us (ie: me) has anyone got a link to a website that explains MM and its use. (would like the full SP)
                          Cheers
                          Alan
                          www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

get an atlas dude..........i used one and drove all over europe for 10 years or so on it
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                              get an atlas dude..........i used one and drove all over europe for 10 years or so on it
                              and you only wanted to go to seaford

Comment

Working...
                              X