yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retrofit underside spare wheel carrier 2nd / 3rd gen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrofit underside spare wheel carrier 2nd / 3rd gen?

Does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit underside spare wheel carrier to a 3rd gen?

Will one from a 2nd gen fit?

Want to have the choise to sling it under or carry at the rear, or carry two spares.

Thanks!

spare wheel

Hi have done it to a 2nd gen so as we can carry two spares when offroading it just bolts on.
    Live Life To The Full

Comment

Thanks hilux!

Anyone have any idea if the 2nd gen fits the 3rd gen?

Comment

it wouldn't be too hard to modify... it's only 2 bolts that hold it on
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Not sure if a 2nd gen hoist will bolt straight on but i'm sure ya could make it fit, most difficult bit i should think is the hole in the bumper and guide for the winding handle, thats a right pain on the original set up, you could modify the winder onto a geared 12v motor if you want to be flash
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
            Not sure if a 2nd gen hoist will bolt straight on but i'm sure ya could make it fit, most difficult bit i should think is the hole in the bumper and guide for the winding handle, thats a right pain on the original set up, you could modify the winder onto a geared 12v motor if you want to be flash
            Ooh, that is a good idea...

...after attempting to wind my spare down at the weekend and finding it a bit of a bind (literally), I quite fancy doing that.

....only thing is it would need a locking pin on, so it didn't release inadvertently whilst driving due to an electrical "glitch".

.....might have to get a window motor from a breakers...

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
              Ooh, that is a good idea...

...after attempting to wind my spare down at the weekend and finding it a bit of a bind (literally), I quite fancy doing that.

....only thing is it would need a locking pin on, so it didn't release inadvertently whilst driving due to an electrical "glitch".

.....might have to get a window motor from a breakers...
              Dare say its possible to adapt a window motor to suit, only things i think would be getting it to stop at the top and lowered positions and getting it to run in reverse too i suppose, change the polarity somehow???

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                Dare say its possible to adapt a window motor to suit, only things i think would be getting it to stop at the top and lowered positions and getting it to run in reverse too i suppose, change the polarity somehow???
                Hmm....thinking again of the window switch, that stops at the top and reverses on a rocker switch....maybe a rocker switch mounted in the boot ..I'll do some research.

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
                  Hmm....thinking again of the window switch, that stops at the top and reverses on a rocker switch....maybe a rocker switch mounted in the boot ..I'll do some research.
                  The only issue with this is if the bush goes in the motor (as they do ) then the wheel becomes like this but with a tyre on ...

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys, I suppose I could get the bits to start with and see what can be Heath Robinsoned

Maybe use the reversing mirror servo! This truck has too many electric motors already...

5 x windows
                    2 x wing mirror adjust
                    2 x wing mirror fold
                    2 x sunroof
                    1 x reversing mirror

Mind, at least they all work!

3rd gen bits wanted thread at http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=51403

Many thanks!!!

Comment

This is the only pic i have of the old wheel hoist before i removed and got rid,
                      might give ya some idea of where abouts it bolts up, the hoist bolts (6 not 2 counting both ends)
                      are the blue lines and the right angled winder gear, the red lines are the wheel loctaing guides, you may not need em especiall if you size up on your tyres, although i believe 33's will slide in there with some fiddleing, all these do is centralize the wheel as it goes up and stops it slideing about if the winch wire is left slack, dare say stormy could supply the bits you need,
                      Attached Files

Comment

Cheers Popeye, you are a scholar and a gentleman!

Looks a wee bit more involved that I thought initially, gonna have to have a look under my Surf see what is (or isn't) there right now :-)

Thanks!

Comment

Just to let you know that the 2nd gen carrier will not fit a 3rd gen . The set up appears different and I can not see I could make it fit without a lot of work . There is a big X member on the 3rd gen that must mount the chain winch that is not on the 2nd gen .
                          Last edited by Vagrant No2; 11 January 2009, 21:02.
                          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Surely it would be easier to fabricate something like this, hinged or pivoted above the axle somewhere, and the other end bolted to the underside of the bumper to hold the spare in place.

p.s. Excuse to crude drawing, it's a bit difficult using a touch pad on a laptop.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys, I guess I'll have to find a 3rd gen part. I really need to find a breaking 3rd gen in any case for some bits and pieces I am looking for at http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=51403

Comment

Working...
                              X