4wd selection question - help needed pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
    It's an unuseual one, nice tho, if it were'nt for the right hand drive i'd have said it's a US speck runner
    You know what...I was thinking a similar thing myself.......or Aussie...

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
      forgetting that, could it be as simple as a shiny transfer knob from a 2nd gen having been put on at sometime because the original wasnt shiny enough? or because the 4wd switch was dicky ?
      The levers are opposite way round. That ain't a 2nd gen config.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
        The levers are opposite way round. That ain't a 2nd gen config.
        I know that , but I think youve misunderstood. I,ll try to be clearer. I was suggesting that perhaps at some time , someone, had removed the gear knob ( you know, the 4wd one with the switch in) and substituted it with a 2nd gen one. That way all the scribblings and indications on the knob would be wrong, but the functions when you moved it around would be 3rd gen functions ( as we currently know them) Ive had both 2nd and 3rd gen so I know the levers are opposite way round, but Im sure the actual levers are physically the same.
        Since my last post however avabanana has answered and its increasingly looking like he has the only 3rd gen without the centre diff.

Bogus
        Сви можемо

Comment

I know that , but I think youve misunderstood. I,ll try to be clearer. I was suggesting that perhaps at some time , someone, had removed the gear knob ( you know, the 4wd one with the switch in) and substituted it with a 2nd gen one. That way all the scribblings and indications on the knob would be wrong, but the functions when you moved it around would be 3rd gen functions ( as we currently know them) Ive had both 2nd and 3rd gen so I know the levers are opposite way round, but Im sure the actual levers are physically the same.
          Since my last post however avabanana has answered and its increasingly looking like he has the only 3rd gen without the centre diff.

Bogus
          Huh?

The 4 wheel drive and the auto box selector is the wrong way round.
          Auto selector on right and then on left. How could you possibly swap anything to make it switch sides????
          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
            Huh?

The 4 wheel drive and the auto box selector is the wrong way round.
            Auto selector on right and then on left. How could you possibly swap anything to make it switch sides????

See first sentence of post #21.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              The transfer case is on the passenger side in the 3rd gen.
              So the body, engine, transmission and T/case are all 3rd gen, the rest is 2nd gen.

p.s. 'N' reg was the change-over year from 2nd to 3rd.
              Cut n shut Hybrid eh ?????

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect any warning !!!!
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Well done, nice to see you found one, looks pretty sweet, bit of a wierd one like the guys said, but nice...

looks like someones been tankin it already, mud splats up the back haha

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                  That would make sense wouldn't it? Why would a 3rd gen not have the same gearbox as a 2nd gen?
                  Thats a very good point...
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I think bogus is just getting at the actual gear knob itself rather then the whole lot.

However 2nd gen one is either grey, red or blue... not black. So it would've been painted if it was.

As for the 15" rims on a 3rd gen...

Personally ive never tried it but i am in the camp of saying "you need 16" rims or bigger".

Who has tried it?!?

Comment

going on about the 15" and 16" wheels needed but as it is the change over from 2nd to 3rd gen then couldn't Toyota of fitted the 2nd gen brakes to this 3rd gen model and then put on the bigger drums and disc a bit later on the 3rd gens.
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                        I think bogus is just getting at the actual gear knob itself rather then the whole lot.
                        Thank you Rod Leach, finally a forum member who can read and understand english I though that was perfectly clear in my first post and then even clearer in my second. I mean I could remove that knob and fit an apple with 2WD only carved into it couldnt I , even though an apple is not a Toyota part and it would make it 2WD only either, why couldnt the others understand ??

Bogus
                        Сви можемо

Comment

[Quote]
                          couldn't Toyota of fitted the 2nd gen brakes to this 3rd gen model and then put on the bigger drums and disc a bit later on the 3rd gens.[Quote]

My sentiments exactly Watson !!

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect any warning !!!!
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                            going on about the 15" and 16" wheels needed but as it is the change over from 2nd to 3rd gen then couldn't Toyota of fitted the 2nd gen brakes to this 3rd gen model and then put on the bigger drums and disc a bit later on the 3rd gens.
                            Could well be mate.

Might have slipped out for the first few months of production.

Thank you Rod Leach, finally a forum member who can read and understand english I though that was perfectly clear in my first post and then even clearer in my second. I mean I could remove that knob and fit an apple with 2WD only carved into it couldnt I , even though an apple is not a Toyota part and it would make it 2WD only either, why couldnt the others understand ??

Bogus

Comment

Whatever it is it's an ideal candidate for the BDT smooth ass club, perhaps a mural on there by his own fair hand
                              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                                Whatever it is it's an ideal candidate for the BDT smooth ass club, perhaps a mural on there by his own fair hand
                                advertising for me will get you everywhere

Comment

Working...
                                X