4wd selection question - help needed pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd selection question - help needed pls

I know, I know......noob with all the questions.

...well I have looked through every faq I can find, and have googled until my ar5e has turned blue but have still not found a conclusion to my query.

This is a picture of my gear/transfer levers:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    In laymans terms, I would imagine that with the left hand lever in 4L and the 4wd button pressed on lever that will give me 4wd low gearing.

With the left hand lever in 4H and the 4wd button pressed that will give me 4wd high gearing.

With the left hand lever in 4H and the 4wd not pressed, that will give me 2wd high gearing.

....with me so far?....

This surf is a 3rd gen......where do the levers have to be to lock (or indeed unlock) the diff?...are any of those selections above locked?...I have only ever seen a green 4wd (4 little green wheels on axles) light on the dash....am I missing an orange "diff" light?

Obviously I should really go to a local mud pit or grass verge and try all the options out, but really haven't had the time (and large expanses of turf that you can tear up aren't that prevalent round here).

Thanks for your help.

That lever looks different to my 3rd gen lever in terms of it's selection function and travel.

I have something like:

Code:
    H         4L(L)

|         |
              N

4H(L)  -  |
    Where the (L) is a locked dif, N is neutral, so 4H(L) is 4wd hi range diff lock, 4L(L) is 4wd low range diff lock, and H is either 2wd with the button out, or 4wd with that button in.

It looks to me like your surf doesn't have the diff lock.

Comment

No need to press button for L4. You have part time 4WD and no centre diff. In other words do not use 4WD on hard surfaces. H position is not H4 it is H2. Button pressed in this position is H4. The L4 is marked as it is because once the lever is moved it is in L4 which has it's own switching of the transfer. There is no L2 unless you modify things.

Nev

Comment

Also you appear to have the fetish version of the surf- your gear sticks are distinctly PVC-y

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
          You have part time 4WD and no centre diff.
          Ahh that makes more sense than no diff lock... no diff!

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
            Also you appear to have the fetish version of the surf- your gear sticks are distinctly PVC-y

Yeah, and tell your passengers to wipe their feet before getting in your truck.

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
              Looks like that shiny-shiny plastic polish stuff has been used.

Comment

Originally posted by joecuba View Post
                Ahh that makes more sense than no diff lock... no diff!
                So the Diff lock was an option on the Third Gen ? never seen one without !!

Comment

Hmmm....as it is an early 3rd gen....looks like it may not have the diff lock then (or rather the diff not-lock).

...I wasn't aware of this as an option.....but there you go.

Are these levers similar to the 2nd gen levers then?

...and yes....just bought the car, so the levers were polished

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
                    Hmmm....as it is an early 3rd gen....looks like it may not have the diff lock then (or rather the diff not-lock).

...I wasn't aware of this as an option.....but there you go.

...and yes....just bought the car, so the levers were polished
                    How weird. Never heard of that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
                      Identically marked from what I can see...
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

a 3rd gen with 2nd gen gearbox and transfer case never seen one before
                        Brian

Comment

Are you sure it IS a 3rd gen?
                          Lets have alook at it then, or even, whats the registration mark?
                          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

The levers are positioned in the 3rd gen style (gearshift to right).
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

And that's not a 2nd gen centre console.

Comment

Working...
                              X