Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
    Doesn't make him competant.

He fitted different sized front calipers ffs!
    Obviously Im aware that it doesnt make him competent, ( or competAnt for that matter ) but maybe he wasnt. He probably thought himself extremely competent. If the DIY man doesnt deem himself competent I think he will probably assume that someone who is employed as a mechanic is, so that creates quite a dilemma. When you get a job done by a mechanic, who do you get to check his competence ? and how do you know that the guy who checked has a clue. Should we now assume that all mechanics are incompetent ? Does the motor trade do competency assesments ? I dont know.

Bogus
    Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
      Obviously Im aware that it doesnt make him competent, ( or competAnt for that matter ) but maybe he wasnt. He probably thought himself extremely competent. If the DIY man doesnt deem himself competent I think he will probably assume that someone who is employed as a mechanic is, so that creates quite a dilemma. When you get a job done by a mechanic, who do you get to check his competence ? and how do you know that the guy who checked has a clue. Should we now assume that all mechanics are incompetent ? Does the motor trade do competency assesments ? I dont know.

Bogus
      too ###### true. work I had done recently was by a mechanic of many years standing who does 4x4 work exclusively and would seem eminently competent.
      Now wish I had done most of it myself as I would trust it more.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        Doesn't make him competant.

He fitted different sized front calipers ffs!
        If the DIY man doesnt deem himself competent I think he will probably assume that someone who is employed as a mechanic is, so that creates quite a dilemma. When you get a job done by a mechanic, who do you get to check his competence ? and how do you know that the guy who checked has a clue. Should we now assume that all mechanics are incompetent ? Does the motor trade do competency assesments ? I dont know.
        Both valid points. As always, just because someone has a trade does not mean that they are any good at their trade. Likewise, neither are all home mechanics inept. The quality of their work alone distinguishes their capability, whether they are trained or not.

Comment

This guy is a mechanic
          I meant to say earlier, I didn't realise he was a mechanic, I hadn't read/heard that before.

There are many different levels and types of 'Mechanic', my brother-in-law for instance is a Sewing Machine Mechanic, always refers to himself as a Mechanic. We had 'semi-skilled' mechanics when I was on the tools, they were mechanics who hadn't been to college, but were still mechanics.

Essentially what I'm saying is that just because he claims to be a mechanic, doesn't mean he is one and just because he is one doesn't mean he's good at it.

And yes, as with any trade, there is ongoing competency assurance for mechanics working within franchises, MOD and the likes. But there is no requirement for Joe with the garage round the corner to be a qualified mechanic in order to call himself one.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Bogus
            Apologies for the spelling mistake, that one is one of my Achilles Heel's.

That said, if you're going to pull me up for it, mind make sure your own spelling is perfect
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

He was described as a mehanic in the Daily Weegie ( record) article. I googled him and he came up on page 1 in a forum where he describes himself as such. I do appreciate that the mechanic description can have huge variety. Its a term like engineer which not only encompasses hundreds of disciplines. ( Petroleum/electrical/process/building/mechanical and a million others) but I suppose is also abused. Theres a world of technicians out there happy to claim that they are engineers, and I guess a world of semi skilled, self taught and largely incompetent car repairers / parts replacers happy to describe themselves as mechanics

Bogus
              Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                Both valid points. As always, just because someone has a trade does not mean that they are any good at their trade. Likewise, neither are all home mechanics inept. The quality of their work alone distinguishes their capability, whether they are trained or not.
                Well said Mathew! i mean you've only to look at my spring fitting skills to see i'm competant, i'm gonna do a write up so otheres can follow my simple steps to suscessful l/c spring fitting

this guy tho i'm not jumping in to condem as i dont know the whole story but i guess theres nowt the courts,media or anyone else can do to him thats worse than what he's going through already, i did think the truck performed pretty well when they tested it
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Well, as I have a cold and am sat at work unable to concentrate, I had a quick google and found (a bit) more about the guy.

All I can see is that he is a very definite LR enthusiast, likes a drink, loves his kids and is (or was) an admin on the LRO forum. He appears to be both well liked and well respected. He also has a blog and it is fairly obvious that his life has not gone well since he had the accident.

To be honest, he would be well advised to remove the blog and all of his forum posts, particularly as it is possible to start piecing together the accident from there. Reading between the lines, his brakes didn't work half as well as he hope they would. His argument is that they had worn out gradually and he just never noticed.

Comment

I found more. Apparently, when it says he 'passed' a van, it means head on. The van didn't yield and he had to go hard over to the left (the non-river side) to avoid it. As he was on the verge, something let go in the back left corner (the wheel looks wonky in the photo) and it spun sideways, then found grip and went across the road into the river.

That's his version, I'm going home.

Comment

Is there anywhere i can see footage of the tests they put it through ???

Comment

Originally posted by Antony_James View Post
                        Is there anywhere i can see footage of the tests they put it through ???
                        Post #7 maybe? I'm not alllowed youtube at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                          Post #7 maybe? I'm not alllowed youtube at work.
                          thats just the news report i think.

Comment

Putting the tragedy of this accident to one side, this will no doubt aid in the governments ban on modified vehicles.
                            I know some of you have seen the following, but I will copy again here for those not yet informed.

The EU (non constitution) Treaty will bring about the end of the UK SVA test and associated triggering points system at the end of March 2009.

THIS WAS COPIED FROM ANOTHER SITE..

The EU (non constitution) Treaty will bring about the end of the UK SVA test and associated triggering points system at the end of March 2009. It will be replaced with an evil Individual Vehicle Assessment (IVA) test triggered at MoT time. Practically every vehicle that is not completely 100% factory original is at risk of losing its DVLA registration and ability to drive on public roads in Britain, the rest of Europe and further.

An organisation called the Association of Car Enthusiasts is representing the views of modified vehicle owners in government consultations. I urge, each of you that have modified your vehicle to sign up for their free newsletter and for RnR to become a recognised supporter.

No other EU member state has the motoring heritage that the UK has. Modifying vehicles is almost a unique part of British and American culture that is completely lost on other Europeans. They just haven't got a clue why we don't all want to drive identical silver or black Audi A6 saloons. If we don't start complaining to our MP's now this will get pushed into law next April. I hope you kept all your old stock parts to put your Jeep back to factory spec.

My Jeep is already illegal as a permanent resident in most other European states. Yours may well be now, or will be by 31 March 2009 if it is not factory original.

Obviously applies to all make
                            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

News report

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                                I found more. Apparently, when it says he 'passed' a van, it means head on. The van didn't yield and he had to go hard over to the left (the non-river side) to avoid it. As he was on the verge, something let go in the back left corner (the wheel looks wonky in the photo) and it spun sideways, then found grip and went across the road into the river.

That's his version, I'm going home.
                                Adds fuel to the argument that 4x4 drivers are aggressive bullies who think everyone should get out of their way just because they drive an intimidating vehicle. Unfortunately it looks as though he found out too late that white van drivers are not easily intimidated.

Very sad.
                                Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Working...
                                X