House electrical advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House electrical advice

Any Electricians out there. I need to extend 3 lighting cables (1.5mm). Can I extend these using terminal connectors? Would this meet regs, if not what do I use. Thanks for any advice.
    Mick
    Trust your Hound.

ideally dont extend,try and re run it,if u have to extend go into electrical factors like city electrical etc,and get a junction box,its basically a 3/4/5 way connector block inside a round dome type job,just explain to them it's for 1.5mm cable and how many connections u need,when u get it,u will notice it doesnt look like u can get cables in,if u look in the sides once u unscrew the top there are cut outs,just use pliers to pull out the parts u need to to get cables in,

Comment

You main issue is, I think, that these days you need building regs approval to do pretty much anything. Check with your Council, and I'm sure a sparky'll pop up sometime to tell you the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
        You main issue is, I think, that these days you need building regs approval to do pretty much anything. Check with your Council, and I'm sure a sparky'll pop up sometime to tell you the answer.
        i did

Comment

You're not "officially" allowed to do any domestic electrical work unless you are a qualified electrician with the necessary approvals. Anybody so approved would probably use a 5 amp junction box (round thingy with terminals inside) to extend a lighting circuit cable
          Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn View Post
            You're not "officially" allowed to do any domestic electrical work unless you are a qualified electrician with the necessary approvals. Anybody so approved would probably use a 5 amp junction box (round thingy with terminals inside) to extend a lighting circuit cable
            I believe you can do it if, it is passed afterwards by a qualified electrician
            who can issue some certificate thing.
            However I am not officially doing it

You do not need to inform the local authority for the following

1. Work consisting of -

(a) replacing any socket-outlet, control switch or ceiling rose;

(b) replacing a damaged cable for a single circuit only;

(c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected;

(d) providing mechanical protection to an existing fixed installation, where the circuit protective measures and current carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by the increased thermal insulation.

or for,

2. Work which -

(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location,

(b) does not involve work on a special installation, and

(c) consists of -

(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit;

(ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit; or

(iii) installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding.

as far as I am aware that is
            Trust your Hound.

Comment

seriously just go get the junction box lolo,and make sure u dont confuddle the wires as they are a pita to sort/test once mixed up lol
              Last edited by darkdezigns; 13 October 2008, 13:13.

Comment

Remember that the junction box must be accessable, for future fault findings/curcuit checks.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

... and wasn't the work done before the regulations changed anyway.
                  Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Go get a junction box, 5, 10 or 15 amp, 4 pole, and extend the wires, make sure that the junction box is in a suitable location (not plastered in a wall) and check your connections are tight, also please note that old house wiring was Red, Black and Green/Yellow but now we use Brown, Blue and Green/Yellow.
                    Connections are as follows
                    Live Red -- Brown
                    Neutral Blue -- Black
                    Earth Green/Yellow -- Green/Yellow
                    You should have it tested and certificated by a electrician who will, or should then have it checked by a building inspector (but that won’t happen)
                    Roy
                    When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

or get me to do it as a foreigner!!

i'm in the second year of my apprenticeship, but i'm good at doing lights as i'm 6'5", so everyone makes me do them as it saves getting the ladders off the van!

Martin
                      Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts View Post
                        or get me to do it as a foreigner!!

i'm in the second year of my apprenticeship, but i'm good at doing lights as i'm 6'5", so everyone makes me do them as it saves getting the ladders off the van!

Martin
                        Ah, so thats why I used to get all the plasterboard ceiling jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          Ah, so thats why I used to get all the plasterboard ceiling jobs.
                          What cos ya a foreigner !!!!

There's always a Payback .... Ya won't never ever see it Comin tho !!!!
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Yeah use a mini 20 amp junction box or a Chockbox. Remember earth sleeving, proper termination, no tension on the cable.

Oh, and then-

Then from the DB, measure the Ze and prospective fault current. Then get an earth fault loop impedance reading from the light. After this, take your R1+R2 reading at the light either by measurement or by subtracting the Zs at the light from the Ze at the DB (better by measurement). Then using an insulation resistance tester set at 500v, check that the reading between phase-neutral, phase-earth, neutral-earth is greater than 200. Write all this down in your minor works certificate, remembering to state whether your earthing arrangement is TT, TN-S, TNC-S or other. Then pay those sods at the NICEIC or NAPIT to send it to them via the internet so they can approve it.

I couldn't tell you jack sh!t about mechanics though.

Comment

you can use crimp connectors and sollotape if you like!...

unless you burn the house down and the insurance kick off, or you're selling up... it'll never get checked!

you might find it hard to get an electrician to test someone elses work too!
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X