flexible mdf??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flexible mdf??

anyone know where i can get it,i bought it before but years ago,can't find it anywhere now???,looks like mdf with grooves cut out

B&Q used to sell it in sheets upto 2'x4' or so in size, I believe. Don't think they did 8'x4' sheets of it though.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
      B&Q used to sell it in sheets upto 2'x4' or so in size, I believe. Don't think they did 8'x4' sheets of it though.
      they dont do it anymore

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post

they dont do it anymore
        Have you checked in the store itself, or just on their website?

Comment

Have you checked in the store itself, or just on their website?
          ive checked my store

Comment

What you tryin to do. you could use skin ply bend it and build it up in layers?
            www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

skilsaw the grooves yourself
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
                What you tryin to do. you could use skin ply bend it and build it up in layers?
                it's to make speaker boxes/builds in back of surf,needs to be mdf
                Originally posted by joker?? View Post
                skilsaw the grooves yourself
                not sure if it would work??spose it wouldn't hurt to try

Comment

You can now get a proper "bendy ply" in long or short grain, 8'x4' sheets,
                  comes quite a few thicknesses and no visible grooves either. Try timber merchants. 18 found on yell.com in your area.
                  If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
                    You can now get a proper "bendy ply" in long or short grain, 8'x4' sheets,
                    comes quite a few thicknesses and no visible grooves either. Try timber merchants. 18 found on yell.com in your area.
                    but would it have the same sound properties as mdf tho?,needs to be atleast 6mm,if not 8mm??,

Comment

but would it have the same sound properties as mdf tho?,needs to be atleast 6mm,if not 8mm??,
                      got mine from wicks
                      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Nope. Completely different construction. However, seeing as the primary composite for speaker boxes has been chipboard for years, I doubt, (provided your construction is sound), that the use of plywood would cause any problems. I would assume the only thing that would differ is that MDF will absorb sound slightly more than ply. Ply should theoretically make a better resonance chamber, however. That is purely my opinion, btw. I'm sure a speaker expert will blast my opinion shortly. Plywood can also be shaped by steaming it, within reason, I believe.

Comment

We use 6,8,& 10mm at work for making drape moulds and formers, don't know about the sound properties tho'
                          If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Nope. Completely different construction. However, seeing as the primary composite for speaker boxes has been chipboard for years, I doubt, (provided your construction is sound), that the use of plywood would cause any problems. I would assume the only thing that would differ is that MDF will absorb sound slightly more than ply. Ply should theoretically make a better resonance chamber, however. That is purely my opinion, btw. I'm sure a speaker expert will blast my opinion shortly. Plywood can also be shaped by steaming it, within reason, I believe.
                            Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
                            We use 6,8,& 10mm at work for making drape moulds and formers, don't know about the sound properties tho'
                            thats the prob,chipboard is horrible for good speakers,and i cant see ply putting up with 2x1000w subs,must be sumwhere i can get the flexible mdf still,maybe try as joker said and cut the grooves,nasty feeling it will snap tho

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                              got mine from wicks
                              how long ago?theres a wickes not to far from me?

Comment

Working...
                              X