yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an easy way to get these little b@stards out !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an easy way to get these little b@stards out !!

Passed the MOT yesterday with an advisory,small amount of play in front o/s wheel bearing,so decided to adjust it today.Did a search, ok ready to go.Jacked up,wheel off,ect.Alls well till I tried to get the hub cover off,took me two hours to get the cone washers out,a ###### big 3pound hammer finally shook them loose,there must be an easier way.Every thing was cleaned up and copper slipped on reasembly so hopefully will come apart with less hassle and much less foul language next time.Any boby else had this problem,and is there an easier way ?? Any tips gratefully received,feel like i`ve just done a shift down a coalmine.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by daithediver; 24 September 2008, 18:18.
    I swear to drunk I`m not God.

If the hub cant be tapped free you can also put in two i believe, M8 threaded bars into the hub an as you wind them in it will pull the hub off.

Comment

Originally posted by daithediver View Post
      Passed the MOT yesterday with an advisory,small amount of play in front o/s wheel bearing,so decided to adjust it today.Did a search, ok ready to go.Jacked up,wheel off,ect.Alls well till I tried to get the hub cover off,took me two hours to get the cone washers out,a ###### big 3pound hammer finally shook them loose,there must be an easier way.Every thing was cleaned up and copper slipped on reasembly so hopefully will come apart with less hassle and much less foul language next time.Any boby else had this problem,and is there an easier way ?? Any tips gratefully received,feel like i`ve just done a shift down a coalmine.
      no sorry mate mine just fell out.
      john
      i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
        If the hub cant be tapped free you can also put in two i believe, M8 threaded bars into the hub an as you wind them in it will pull the hub off.
        I tried that,they didn`t budge, got scared in the end incase one of them snapped.

Comment

Hang on....

Did you stuggle with the hub? Or just the cone washers?!

If its the hub... see my above post.

If its just the washers then a punch an a hammer should sort it out.

Comment

Hang on....

Did you stuggle with the hub? Or just the cone washers?!

If its the hub... see my above post.

If its just the washers then a punch an a hammer should sort it out.
            Just the cone washers,I tried that too,the little Bs just would not shift.I was even thinging of taking a blowtorch to em but went for the big hammer instead.I think I frightened em out in the end,the swearing helped as well.

Comment

ohh! I got it wrong.

Sometimes the hubs can be a tough one to remove. But ive never had trouble removing the cone washers.

at least its all done now.

Comment

ohh! I got it wrong.

Sometimes the hubs can be a tough one to remove. But ive never had trouble removing the cone washers.

at least its all done now.
                Yes thankfully,thanks for your input,just wondered if I was doing something wrong,just unlucky I suppose,and it was only a very slight play,still sorted now,the examiner commented on what a good condition the truck was in so bodes well for the future,Woo Hoo.

Comment

copperslip is your friend when you reassemble.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                    copperslip is your friend when you reassemble.
                    I certainly hope so.

Comment

You need to make a

CONE WASHER REMOVAL TOOL.

Take a small, robust screwdriver, sharpen the point to a gradually tapered square shape on a grinding wheel. The point is then inserted in the split part and tapped down with a hammer till the cone washer pings out. WD40 helps-

no brute force need be used.

click REFRESH to see that animation again!!
                      Last edited by laser_jock99; 24 September 2008, 21:00.

Comment

brass hammer hit it just above every cone
                        simple
                        and mine are stuck every time
                        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Thanks guys I didn`t think I was the only one who had encountered this problem.
                          Last edited by daithediver; 24 September 2008, 22:35.

Comment

If the shaft and hub plate are in a good greased up condition (they will be after you reassemble it eh!) then the 2x8mm bolts ids the safest method to remove the hub flange. Undo the nuts but leave them on a couple of threads and then insert the 2x8mm bolts (in the spare threaded holes that Mr Toyota kindly engineered for this exact reason) and pull the flange off by tightening the 2 bolts. The bolts are then unwound and the nuts,washers and cones are easily removed and nothing has benn hit by a hammer, forced or otherwise damaged.

job done.

reassemble with copperslip and the next time they are even easier.
                            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                              If the shaft and hub plate are in a good greased up condition (they will be after you reassemble it eh!) then the 2x8mm bolts ids the safest method to remove the hub flange. Undo the nuts but leave them on a couple of threads and then insert the 2x8mm bolts (in the spare threaded holes that Mr Toyota kindly engineered for this exact reason) and pull the flange off by tightening the 2 bolts. The bolts are then unwound and the nuts,washers and cones are easily removed and nothing has benn hit by a hammer, forced or otherwise damaged.

job done.

reassemble with copperslip and the next time they are even easier.
                              Thanks for that,but obviously mine had been put back together totally dry,the bearings looked new,along with the lock nuts,as I have said I copperslipped every thing when I reassembled so hopefully everything will be ok next time.Will have to check the other side later to see if its the same,should have not too many problems with the tips given already.Thank you very much for your help,but tried the two bolts trick but it did`nt work as previously stated,
                              Last edited by daithediver; 24 September 2008, 22:37.

Comment

Working...
                              X