Rear wheel bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache View Post
    I imagine he means he doesn't currently know, but will find out before attempting the job...

Come to think of it, I've never changed prop UJs before but I will be doing so this weekend, so I could say 'I dont know how to do it'. I've read up and found out how to do it, and I expect the original poster will do the same before attempting it.

Pedant - its what you do
    I've never fixed a helicopter before, but if I go on to helecoptersrus and read a couple of posts, I'll be a perfectly competant helecopter fixer. Would you be happy to fly in it If I'd worked on a safety critical system?

Acht, maybe you're all right though, who needs an apprenticeship eh?

Just because you know how to do it, doesn't make you competant to actually do it.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
      i seriously worry about people who openly discourage people from trying,,to you i put this question.......
      how did you learn to use spanners and sockets?
      I don't actively discourage folk from pottering around with cars, that's fine. I do discourage folk from working on safety critical stuff like brakes and steering for example.

I learned to use spanners as part of a 5 year apprenticeship. I have a HNC in motor vehicle craft studies and a diploma in workshop management. I started working with spanners and sockets when I was 11, firstly under the stewardship of Ralph Bloch in Malleys in Falkirk, I then, at 14, moved on to Bill Roberton's Motorcycles under the eagle eye of my father who was the foreman mechanic. I began my official apprenticeship with SMT in Falkirk aged 15. Was paid of at 21 when it shut down and started with BP (not as a mechanic) when I was 22. So all in all, I have 35 years learning behind me.

Comment

Yeah - but can you put a fruit pastel in your mouth without chewing it?!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
          Yeah - but can you put a fruit pastel in your mouth without chewing it?!
          Nope

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            I don't actively discourage folk from pottering around with cars, that's fine. I do discourage folk from working on safety critical stuff like brakes and steering for example.

I learned to use spanners as part of a 5 year apprenticeship. I have a HNC in motor vehicle craft studies and a diploma in workshop management. I started working with spanners and sockets when I was 11, firstly under the stewardship of Ralph Bloch in Malleys in Falkirk, I then, at 14, moved on to Bill Roberton's Motorcycles under the eagle eye of my father who was the foreman mechanic. I began my official apprenticeship with SMT in Falkirk aged 15. Was paid of at 21 when it shut down and started with BP (not as a mechanic) when I was 22. So all in all, I have 35 years learning behind me.

Jeez, all that studying and hard work Andy, and you still only hand me the occasional spanner.
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I learned to use spanners as part of a 5 year apprenticeship
              I must be "gifted" then don’t think it took me that long to work them out?

I started with BP (not as a mechanic) when I was 22

Is that in “Sales” then!

I have 35 years learning behind me.

I also have had many years working on Safety Critical bits including axle’s brakes and bearings for many years and at times under the guidance of my father and other very skilled push bike repair men… I just saw this as a scaled up version.......!! did I get that wrong then...whoops

Comment

I've never fixed a helicopter before, but if I go on to helecoptersrus and read a couple of posts, I'll be a perfectly competant helecopter fixer. Would you be happy to fly in it If I'd worked on a safety critical system?

Acht, maybe you're all right though, who needs an apprenticeship eh?

Just because you know how to do it, doesn't make you competant to actually do it.
                With all due respect, replacing a wheel bearing isn't quite the same as repairing (as you're probably inferring) some sort of flight safety critical system on a helicopter.

A wheel bearing, if its been bolted back together in the right place with some consultation of the correct info, is at worst likely to start making a noise causing you to pull over and think about calling milners for another one. Having a bearing overheat / break up in, say, a rotor head gearbox / drivetrain doesn't give the pilot the option to pull over and stop. What generally happens is they fall out of the sky - which is why CAA inspections are generally a wee bit tougher and more involved than an MOT.

Working on a car isn't rocket science, working on rockets - is.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
                  I must be "gifted" then don’t think it took me that long to work them out?

Is that in “Sales” then!

I also have had many years working on Safety Critical bits including axle’s brakes and bearings for many years and at times under the guidance of my father and other very skilled push bike repair men… I just saw this as a scaled up version.......!! did I get that wrong then...whoops
                  To be honest, I don't care what you do, I merely pointed out that I worry about 'Amateurs' working on the brakes and steering on their cars. If you equate working on bicycles to fiddling with the brakes on a 2 ton truck, then fine, fill your boots. ut please, don't crash into me when your brakes fail.

Comment

To be honest, I don't care what you do, I merely pointed out that I worry about 'Amateurs' working on the brakes and steering on their cars. If you equate working on bicycles to fiddling with the brakes on a 2 ton truck, then fine, fill your boots. ut please, don't crash into me when your brakes fail.
                    I was attempting to make a light hearted joke about the bike bit....cheer up ....

no disrespect intended, point taken

Cheers
                    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                      With all due respect, replacing a wheel bearing isn't quite the same as repairing (as you're probably inferring) some sort of flight safety critical system on a helicopter.

A wheel bearing, if its been bolted back together in the right place with some consultation of the correct info, is at worst likely to start making a noise causing you to pull over and think about calling milners for another one. Having a bearing overheat / break up in, say, a rotor head gearbox / drivetrain doesn't give the pilot the option to pull over and stop. What generally happens is they fall out of the sky - which is why CAA inspections are generally a wee bit tougher and more involved than an MOT.

Working on a car isn't rocket science, working on rockets - is.
                      I didn't say not to do bearings or the likes, I said not to mess around with brakes and steering. What I did imply was that if you have to ask, you really shouldn't be doing it in the first place. I also don't think reading about how to do something is the same as being shown how to or actually doing it.

And, how would the OP know the advice given was correct? I've seen bucket loads of incorrect, sometimes dangerously incorrect, advice given on motoring forums.

As I pointed out in my original reply, to do the rear wheel bearings on a Surf, you have to remove the rear brakes. It is this I advise against.

And as I've also said, if someone wants to risk their life by fiddling around with something they know nothing about, I'm happy for them. Just don't kill me when their time comes.

Don't say it won't happen, I know of 2 cases in my local srea where brakes have failed on trucks. The resultant accidents have killed 3 people, none of the deaths were the drivers or the 'amateurs' who did the work.

Comment

I didn't say not to do bearings or the likes, I said not to mess around with brakes and steering. What I did imply was that if you have to ask, you really shouldn't be doing it in the first place. I also don't think reading about how to do something is the same as being shown how to or actually doing it.

And, how would the OP know the advice given was correct? I've seen bucket loads of incorrect, sometimes dangerously incorrect, advice given on motoring forums.

As I pointed out in my original reply, to do the rear wheel bearings on a Surf, you have to remove the rear brakes. It is this I advise against.

And as I've also said, if someone wants to risk their life by fiddling around with something they know nothing about, I'm happy for them. Just don't kill me when their time comes.

Don't say it won't happen, I know of 2 cases in my local srea where brakes have failed on trucks. The resultant accidents have killed 3 people, none of the deaths were the drivers or the 'amateurs' who did the work.
                        But be fair and add some balance I am very very cheap.
                        Brian

Comment

Working...
                        X