Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel bearing

Hi All

My back wheel bearing has given out and makes a nasty metal screeching when I drive...can anyone point me to a picture guide to replacement and any idea on cost. Would it be easier to drop the rear axle on my dead surf and swap them over. (not that I know how to do that..)

Thanks
    Mark

I seriously worry about folk who freely admit to not knowing how to do things, going ahead and doing them anyway. It's just a matter of time before someone kills themself, or someone else, due to their bad workmanship.

To answer your question, swap the halfshafts (includes the back-plates and rear brakes) over from your breaker.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I imagine he means he doesn't currently know, but will find out before attempting the job...

Come to think of it, I've never changed prop UJs before but I will be doing so this weekend, so I could say 'I dont know how to do it'. I've read up and found out how to do it, and I expect the original poster will do the same before attempting it.

Pedant - its what you do
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        I seriously worry about folk who freely admit to not knowing how to do things, going ahead and doing them anyway. It's just a matter of time before someone kills themself, or someone else, due to their bad workmanship.
        I hope that's not aimed at ME...that's why I joined the forum... to glean information from past and present posts and info from members...and then as my skill base improves pass this on to lesser informed people like me!!. Which is why instead of doing the below I was looking for advice and a point in the direction of a manual online to use as a guide to do the bearing......or be told "No mate don't do touch the bearing you need BLA Bla BLA "

To answer your question, swap the halfshafts (includes the back-plates and rear brakes) over from your breaker.
        Thanks anyway

Anyone else point me in the right direction??

Comment

There's a few old threads on how to do it if you search for 'shady tree' (honest!)

The old bearings are pretty difficult to get out. A press would be useful, but it can be done via unorthodox methods as described the the 'shady tree method'

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
            Anyone else point me in the right direction??
            Yep, the rear wheel bearings are at the back of the truck behind the rear wheels if I remember.

Sorry, but you were leaning against an open door there.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              There's a few old threads on how to do it if you search for 'shady tree' (honest!)

The old bearings are pretty difficult to get out. A press would be useful, but it can be done via unorthodox methods as described the the 'shady tree method'
              Thanks that was what I was looking for. I tried the search this morning but it kept crashing, seem fine now!

Thanks
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Yep, the rear wheel bearings are at the back of the truck behind the rear wheels if I remember.

Sorry, but you were leaning against an open door there.

Comment

i seriously worry about people who openly discourage people from trying,,to you i put this question.......
                  how did you learn to use spanners and sockets?

Comment

Comfy chair time.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      Comfy chair time.
                      Pass the popcorn please old chap.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                        Pass the popcorn please old chap.
                        me too lol

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                          me too lol
                          Hello Donna.

Comment

Tut...

Children...

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                              i seriously worry about people who openly discourage people from trying,,to you i put this question.......
                              how did you learn to use spanners and sockets?
                              Probably by learning in an educational environment.
                              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
                              X