ARC versus MIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattF View Post
    Ah, but as I tell Dawn and the kids, (rather frequently, due to the fact I'm a git), to be able to dash someones hopes, you first have to build them up.
    Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
    who's dawn?wheres gert gone?

I actually thought "ohh im gunna post 'what happened to gert' "

BDT you beat me to it mate!

Comment

'Our Gert' is a localism. Akin to the likes of 'er indoors, the ball and chain and such. It's also something she's threatened to give me severe verbal for, (minimum), if she finds out I've been referring to her by it.

Comment

i would go with tig matt,just to throw a spanner in the works,bwahahahahhahah,i knew you wouldnt be able to weld that jap steel up with an arc welder.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
          i would go with tig matt,just to throw a spanner in the works,bwahahahahhahah,i knew you wouldnt be able to weld that jap steel up with an arc welder.
          Git. Given time, I probably would become proficient enough to do it, but I'm working on the three hour rule. I can usually tell within that time whether I'll manage to become proficient only or adept. I definitely ain't gonna be adept, and I'd rather not do it at all than risk ruining the work.

Comment

matt.

as that strutting is so damm thin, why not drill and rivet, with some chem fix as well for extra strength.you dont have to weld everything, there are some other options available.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Git. Given time, I probably would become proficient enough to do it, but I'm working on the three hour rule. I can usually tell within that time whether I'll manage to become proficient only or adept. I definitely ain't gonna be adept, and I'd rather not do it at all than risk ruining the work.
              i was always told that with welding youve either got the skill or you havnt.total bullshit.keep going matt get yourself a mig of about 140 amps but get one with a good duty cycle.set the welder to a medium setting and a wire setting of three,if you you find the mig tip being pushed away from the work set the wire speed down a bit,if you find its burning a hole set the amperage down a bit,repeat steps until you get a weld that sounds like your frying sausages,oh a dont try and do a single long weld.just spot it together,otherwise you will find it bends and buckles all over the place.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

'Our Gert' is a localism. Akin to the likes of 'er indoors, the ball and chain and such. It's also something she's threatened to give me severe verbal for, (minimum), if she finds out I've been referring to her by it.
                no really??

Comment

lucky she's not from down this way!... it's a "localism" for um... FAT!

i.e. "oi porked a roight gurt munter on saturdee!"
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

i find gas welding easiest!
                    oxy-acetylene...

cut and weld with the same gear!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
                      i find gas welding easiest!
                      oxy-acetylene...

cut and weld with the same gear!
                      Used that on some RSJ at my uncles house. An im pretty sure thats what we use for lead welding...

Dont quote me on that

Comment

I like plasma cutters.........
                        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                          I like plasma cutters.........
                          Very smart bit of kit!!

Still a bit on the expensive side for occasional home use... but daaamn!

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                            i was always told that with welding youve either got the skill or you havnt.total bullshit.keep going matt get yourself a mig of about 140 amps but get one with a good duty cycle.set the welder to a medium setting and a wire setting of three,if you you find the mig tip being pushed away from the work set the wire speed down a bit,if you find its burning a hole set the amperage down a bit,repeat steps until you get a weld that sounds like your frying sausages,oh a dont try and do a single long weld.just spot it together,otherwise you will find it bends and buckles all over the place.
                            Fan cooled 60%+ duty cycle type thing?

Have heard that saying about it being natural or no chance in hell. Ne'er paid too much attention to things like that, but you tend to know yourself whether you're twigging with something. I just ain't. Managed to figure out the basics of the weld, penetration and such like with the ARC, but the finesse and consistency are eluding me somewhat at the moment, especially the consistency. Used that subtle brushing type method suggested by Taliesins for striking the arc, but three times with the exact same method and on the exact same piece seems to produce erratic results. Must say though, I'm gonna try again and follow his advice on lowering the current if it sticks. I had been advised the complete opposite, so that may be where my main problem is with ARC.

In the process of trying to find someone with a MIG that I can borrow for testing purposes too. Didn't want to be forking out for one just yet if I'm completely naff with that as well.

Cheers for all the advice chaps. It's greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                              as that strutting is so damm thin, why not drill and rivet, with some chem fix as well for extra strength.you dont have to weld everything, there are some other options available.
                              Had considered something along those lines. Cosmetics, I probably would do. For this I'd prefer the strength though. Plus, it is a good reason to force myself to get off my arse and learn to weld. This ARC has been sat here for 3? years now waiting for me to learn with it.

Comment

Learning to weld is something I've been hoping to do for a while. I was gonna do evening classes this year but the missus beat me to it and is doing accountancy so I have to stay home lokking after the small people who live upstairs.

I'll use the time to perfect my lathework.
                                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                                X