ARC versus MIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARC versus MIG

Truthful opinions if one might. Out of the two, is MIG easier to get along with, so to speak? Had several hours with the ARC setup today, and I'll be damned if I can latch onto the fine line between the rod sticking and blowing a big hole in metal. Is MIG subtler and more predictable in use? Does it require the same arsing about with the output current?

In my limited experience... MIG is far easier, but you need to work cleaner, which isn't something I'm used to...
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

i find that the best way to perfect both ways of weilding
      is just simpley give it to mi dad
      i cant wield for toffee or toffee rapper
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Mig is easier.

Its sposed to sound like "your favorite bacon on a sunday morning"

Considering i dont get up till my mum or dad shout "breakfast is ready" I cant help much more then that!

Anyway, seriously...

You need to get your wire speed set up, you dont want it coming out too fast if your moving slow. Same with vice versa... dont move quick if your wire feed is slow.

Penetration is really just the key. Have a few goes with some scrap of the metal your working with.

Wow - i gave Mattf advice...

Life is complete

Comment

so ya keep ya hand and wire at the same sort of flow

depending on how deep ya weld is and what metal
          dont try it on anything that been galvanised it pops

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
            so ya keep ya hand and wire at the same sort of flow

depending on how deep ya weld is and what metal
            dont try it on anything that been galvanised it pops
            Yeah, pretty much mate.

It's not hard to get a decent weld. Also another thing to consider with Arc welding is with the filler rods, Different diameter rods will make a difference.

You need a LOT of juice to burn up a thick one an sometimes the parent metal will blow before the rods done its thing.

Matt, you might find your using filler rods that have to thick a diameter.
            Get some small ones an try again.

If the parent metal is that hole in the 1st gen then im guessing its a very thin sheet. Anything but the smallest rod will probably end with the results you describe.

Comment

oh and mate ya can used arc?
              if ya can and ya need to
              i will let ya use the garage its got a 3 phase oil filled arc welder in there
              iam sure mi dad would not mind

Comment

Mig is by far the easiest to use but can lack in penetration compared to ARC (MMA) so the thickness of metal you are welding has a great effect on which to go for, I have both, I have a MIG 120 turbo which will do up to 4mm easy anything thicker then its out with the ARC, but with ARC you need plenty of practice to get it right, this can be a good or bad thing as everyone thinks they can use a mig welder is it sticks a good bead of weld down the metal but stick is the problem most people tend to stick the metal together rather than weld it, hence the lack of penetration

Basically if you weld between 1 – 4mm then go for MIG
                3 – 8mm then either a big mig or ARC

MIG is easy and clean
                Roy
                When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Go for a gas MIG setup not the flux wire gasless one.
                  Get one up to 160 and you can do all car/truck related stuff

The gas protects/shields the weld as such the argon mixed gas is better than the standard co2 gas most MIGs use.

Then just play with wire speed and current settings to get used to what does what thickness ect. If you can write you're name you will be welding okay with a MIG after a weekend with scrap.
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                    Truthful opinions if one might. Out of the two, is MIG easier to get along with, so to speak? Had several hours with the ARC setup today, and I'll be damned if I can latch onto the fine line between the rod sticking and blowing a big hole in metal. Is MIG subtler and more predictable in use? Does it require the same arsing about with the output current?
                    I find Arc welding to be the better of the two for strength and penetration.
                    If your rods are sticking try turning down the amps, make sure they are not cold and strike up correctly by stroking it sideways (like striking a match)
                    A bit of practice and you will get better.
                    Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                      Penetration is really just the key.
                      hehehe...
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                        Go for a gas MIG setup not the flux wire gasless one.
                        Get one up to 160 and you can do all car/truck related stuff

The gas protects/shields the weld as such the argon mixed gas is better than the standard co2 gas most MIGs use.
                        Agreed, MIG is far better if the size is right, 120amp turbo MIG will do you proud, bigger the better but look out for settings on the ampage the finer the better on that.

I always use co2 as I managed to get hold of a large (5') fixed fire extinguisher bottle (lasts about a year), if you are hiring the bottles then go for argoshield if not then go to your local pub and use cellar gas or a fire extinguisher, a lot cheaper that way.

Arc has its advantages, you can weld cast, or stainless without to much hassle, just change the rods and you’re away, i know you can weld stainless with a MIG but you then have to change the wire and gas, best of all with ARC is that you can get high carbon rods and dissimilar metal rods, this allows you to weld stainless to steel.
                        Roy
                        When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

If I gather correctly then from the advice, both have their place and suitability. Go with ARC for the mismatched or larger stuff and go with MIG for the thinner and more straight forward stuff?

Cheers again all.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                            Wow - i gave Mattf advice...

Life is complete
                            Ah, but as I tell Dawn and the kids, (rather frequently, due to the fact I'm a git), to be able to dash someones hopes, you first have to build them up.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                              Ah, but as I tell Dawn and the kids, (rather frequently, due to the fact I'm a git), to be able to dash someones hopes, you first have to build them up.
                              who's dawn?wheres gert gone?

Comment

Working...
                              X