No announcement yet.

Front prop spins but no 4WD ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

surely first port of call is to get it up in the air in 4wd,see if the fronts are moving in 4wd

Comment

can't Argue With That Sugestion!

Comment

Originally posted by davemaxx View Post
        can't Argue With That Sugestion!
        sorry it just seemed like common sense

Comment

make sure someone hasn't nicked both cv joints.
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

no worries i was thinking along the same line as da slug man
            Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
            if it's on wet grass, how can you tell there's no drive to front wheels?

Comment

Been on wet grass going slow then flooring to see if any drive to front in all settings 4H 4L and got no sign of any spin on the front. The rear loses traction then the front will be seen spin also Ithought that was the reason to have a 4wd system to give all round traction if one end is losing grip the other tries to get a grip?
              Like I said props spin but no front wheels engage will put it back on axle stands and have a look if the front wheels turn one foward one back. I think its a problem with the front diff siezed as to not engage?

Comment

Originally posted by GIRDLES View Post
                Been on wet grass going slow then flooring to see if any drive to front in all settings 4H 4L and got no sign of any spin on the front. The rear loses traction then the front will be seen spin also Ithought that was the reason to have a 4wd system to give all round traction if one end is losing grip the other tries to get a grip?
                Like I said props spin but no front wheels engage will put it back on axle stands and have a look if the front wheels turn one foward one back. I think its a problem with the front diff siezed as to not engage?
                yr prob right,but start with easy stuff,then just be methodical,ask mudsurfer,lol

Comment

Thats not really a scientific test is it. Until you get it up in the air to have a look to see if you do actually have drive then you cant really say the diff is seized. If the front prop is turning and you have no noises coming from the diff, then the only possible cause of no drive is a broken CV joint or driveshaft.
                  My guess is there is nothing wrong at all. Dont forget that on Vidal Sasoon versions you have a centre diff so you wont get all 4 wheels spinning until you lock it.
                  Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

There is no locking at present all lights on the multi mode display flash and only in neutral does the orangelight stay solid will have it on stands later and see what happens.

Comment

oh....
                      if the orange light is flashing, then the centre diff isn't locked...

try running it forwards and backwards a bit, it should eventually lock in... might take a bit if it hasn't been used for a while!...

if the 4 green lights are on, then it's in 4wd without the centre diff being locked, so it would seem the ADD is working, the problem is in the transfer case...
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

All lights flash both green and orange, indicating no diff lock and no 4wd ?
                        orange only stays steady in nuetral in all other positions the green and orange flash together.
                        No noise comes from the front diff in any position when turning backwards or forwards on full lock.will lift all wheels off ground to see if they move correct,but no real hope of this.
                        May end up in a garage could get ripped off ££££££££££s not knowing what the fault is, as is my experience with most garages I have used?

Comment

Got the Surf back from MOT passed. The machanic looked at the 4wd for me.
                          Front prop spins and no drive to front wheels?
                          You can turn the wheels when the wheels are off the ground and the fronts both turn in the same direction and not forwards and back as should be?
                          I have no noise coming from the front end when 4wd is selected, could the front diff have been removed ?
                          Could the ADD system be to blame?

Comment

hI Girdles

I'm not sure where in hertfordshire you are but if you're anywhere near to Stevenage you are more than welcome to bring it round to our workshop/shed and we'll have a look for you.Could be something simple.

PM me or call 07930379698

Cheers
                            Paul

Comment

Could the ADD system be to blame?
                              almost certainly

Comment

Working...
                              X