Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's so bad about Vista?

It obsoletes old equipment.

Vista needs leading edge hardware for it to run at anything like the same speed as XP would run on less hardware - main reason is the User Interface. You can speed Vista up loads by getting rid of a lot of the new funky bits like transparency etc.

However.

i have a 4 year old Toughbook that is going stron on XP SP3 but won't run Vista. I am not going to replace the Toughbook for a long time as I couldn't get an equivalent machine that would run Vista for less than £3.5K. So I guess that when support for XP runs out and you can't get security updates anymore then I'll move over to Linux if I can get the touchscreen drivers for it.

It is a shame that successive new versions of Windows require major leaps in hardware with no cut down versions to work on older machines. It's another major cause of the increase in rubbish that can't be recycled so fills up our landfill sites.

Still Windows 7 promises to be everything that Vista isn't so maybe then I'l get a cheap new desktop and just use the Toughbook for mobile running Linux.

Comment

Working...
    X