why is vista crap ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why is vista crap ??

im not looking for retribution, just reasons (not opinions,conjecture or my mates got it and its pants etc...)

why is vista so crap ??
    Non intercooled nothing.

If you install it on your existing PC, some of your programs won't run properly, or something like that.

Comment

on account of it being a rushed marketing mistake...

Only to force you to upgrade so that they can take the old version out of support... and to get you to move from a stable platform, to an unstable one, justifying their channels investment.

Oh, and to get you to Windows 7.

One of the bug bears... (one of mine)... the only version that actually works... is the 64-bit version... the security out of the box is quite good. But no one makes drivers for it, mainly because this 64-bit computing at home won't catch on... apparently...

Now I am venting and I apologise...

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        If you install it on your existing PC, some of your programs won't run properly, or something like that.
        nope vince..not a reason...nuts and bolts why exactly is vista crap.

i can see that all the it jonnys are eliciting a bit of "snobbery" by that i mean they are saying that certain aspects of its design are crap....but this is the equivalent of apache telling us a certain random wave generator is crap....no one knows what it means, so nuts and bolts of the situation,what is it thats crap about vista ??
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
          im not looking for retribution, just reasons (not opinions,conjecture or my mates got it and its pants etc...)

why is vista so crap ??
          Well mate I run 1 pc's & 1 Laptop on Vista 2 left on XP and some linux a server and a pc but I think Vista is great...

My main system:
          3.6 Dual Core Intel, 512 graphics, 4 gig of mem 2 screens etc
          was a dual boot pc for ages but only on Vista now as it has really improved since the service pack has come out and the pc is actually faster on vista in my design software than on xp

The only downside I have had to vista is that some older games are not working proper.
          But I don't mind as I have done and finished them lol

I am unfortunately an IT guy and I rate vista high the best thing Microsoft has done so far by a mile...

Most people complain, but then again when XP came out everybody was saying the same thing for about 18 months everyone was saying how crap it was..... and now they don't wanna get rid of it....

So I think people are just not used to it yet...
          I have used vista when still in development as well and like I have said before it has much improved and is now a very stable Operating System...

So dont believe everything u hear lol Vista Rocks
          One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala View Post

Only to force you to upgrade so that they can take the old version out of support... and to get you to move from a stable platform, to an unstable one, justifying their channels investment.

why is it unstable,whats a channels investment............plain english please.

One of the bug bears... (one of mine)... the only version that actually works... is the 64-bit version... the security out of the box is quite good. But no one makes drivers for it, mainly because this 64-bit computing at home won't catch on... apparently...

64 bit whattin g !!!!

nuts and bolts and fundamentals please,what is it that is shoite about vista,what is the actual THING thats crap about it.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Vista was developed as a closed operating system.
              The O/S teams don't even speak to the app teams, some of teh app suite teams don't even speak to each other on the same team (Word and Excel for example)

IE. principal Vendor partners were not allowed to participate in its developement, until it reached a late Alpha stage.

Clients got involved fairly early on (Early Alpha), to encourage adoption, and patches and fixes were written to suit their purposes...

Pressure was coming with the latest flavours from Apple... and the game was on.

Microsoft does paint a good picture, they even say the right things some of the time. But unfortunaely they don't listen to their own message, because they are too busy covering their own arses. (they got burnt with the monopolies piece embedding the browser in the O/S)

However, the one thing I do like about vista... is it does spank on 64-bit and the search piece (once you upgrade it to the lates version - they kept that quiet) works really well for me... I can't remmeber where I left anything, so that bit is good.

Comment

oh dont get me wrong. we have a stand in the corner by itself computer, and we have my laptop,which is at present ....err...on my lap.the home puter has xp and my laptop has vista.i appreciate that the laptop is more powerful than the home on(which is about 5 years old) but this is FAR superior.its faster,easier to use,all the little tags that come up are ace,the media player is so much easier to use etc.
                but vista gets such a slating , i wondered what it was that was so shoite about it.
                im not prepared to listen to hearsay and conjecture, i want to know what is it about the design of vista, not its marketing, that makes it so pants and unstable, and crap etc ....??

so far nobody has told me why its crap,or pointed to a bit of code or something and said "theres your problem"

we tell each other that when we have overheated the head has gone, it was a design flaw.......whats the design flaw with vista ??
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

64-bit... as opposed to 32-bit... more addressable memory.

The 64-bit systems offer direct access to more virtual and physical memory than 32-bit systems and process more data per clock cycle, enabling more scalable, higher performing computing solutions.

Thankfully, mother board speeds are going up, as is memory speed. Also processor cores are increasing too... So you can do more at the same time.

What does this all mean... well to me, it means that the computing hardware is a commodity as is the operating system... I can now have what I want, when I want it. rather than waiting...

The next important step for me, is for these systems to begin sharing compute capacity on demand. What I mean by this is, these are the compute devices I currently have available to me, this is their spare capacity, so which important job is there left to do...

That and the automation of the management, and day to day tasks.

Comment

XP has a better rad cap?

Comment

It's crap because it's a copy of Mac OSX and still isn't as good as OSX was five years ago.

Comment

Well its exactly that...

MS were under pressure, people were looking elsewhere (Apple, Linux, opensource)... They had a reskin (vista) of a reskin (NT4, WinXP)... so they hyped up the marketing... and we fell for it...

So when you hear people talking about it...

its mostly, I hate it... it needs so much resources to work properly... but I do like that little widget...

MS have mostly for the last good few years, let everyone else slug it out, then brought out their spin on the various bits and pieces... (widgets for example)... they keep building the hype, and you end up being bullied into the decision... Some times they get it right... (Softgrid becoming application virtualisation) with their virtualisation strategy ... spot on ... exactly what it says on the tin...

I suppose what it boils down to is, either we like being bullied into the decision, or we just put up with it. (Opensource vs Microsoft)... on that point... its an opensource company (Xen) who are breathing new life into Windows 2008 with the Hyper-V piece...

Comment

64-bit... as opposed to 32-bit... more addressable memory.

The 64-bit systems offer direct access to more virtual and physical memory than 32-bit systems and process more data per clock cycle, enabling more scalable, higher performing computing solutions.

Thankfully, mother board speeds are going up, as is memory speed. Also processor cores are increasing too... So you can do more at the same time.

What does this all mean... well to me, it means that the computing hardware is a commodity as is the operating system... I can now have what I want, when I want it. rather than waiting...

The next important step for me, is for these systems to begin sharing compute capacity on demand. What I mean by this is, these are the compute devices I currently have available to me, this is their spare capacity, so which important job is there left to do...

That and the automation of the management, and day to day tasks.
                          if you look at it from a computer numpty's perspective (ie me) its LOADS better than xp ,especially since that big service pack arrived (as happened with xp).im a little concernd that it gets such a slating,i may have bought a turkey,although i have had over a year of trouble free use.the best aspect is the office suite of programs,notablt excel. i use it an awful lot,indeed have just made an interactive spreadsheet, to calculate one exponent with respect to other inputs and it worked it all out for me,even running an algorithm. with xp and the old office that would have taken me about a week to put together,i did this one today in about an hour (and the 3d modelling on word is spanking)

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          XP has a better rad cap?
                          i think its red button is missing ??
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                            It's crap because it's a copy of Mac OSX and still isn't as good as OSX was five years ago.
                            but WHY is it not so good,and why is it crap ?? specifics please !!
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Well its exactly that...

MS were under pressure, people were looking elsewhere (Apple, Linux, opensource)... They had a reskin (vista) of a reskin (NT4, WinXP)... so they hyped up the marketing... and we fell for it...

So when you hear people talking about it...

its mostly, I hate it... it needs so much resources to work properly... but I do like that little widget...

MS have mostly for the last good few years, let everyone else slug it out, then brought out their spin on the various bits and pieces... (widgets for example)... they keep building the hype, and you end up being bullied into the decision... Some times they get it right... (Softgrid becoming application virtualisation) with their virtualisation strategy ... spot on ... exactly what it says on the tin...

I suppose what it boils down to is, either we like being bullied into the decision, or we just put up with it. (Opensource vs Microsoft)... on that point... its an opensource company (Xen) who are breathing new life into Windows 2008 with the Hyper-V piece...
                              i dont know what this means !!!

it sounds like its more a "microsoft sucks" issue than a specific thing that will make my laptop turn into a pile of simmering poo
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X