My Build of My Surf Pick-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackt360 View Post
    Hi, to answer a few of your questions, havnt got any pics of behind the seats sorry i forgot to take pics of the whole bulk build part, for seat belts i just put in some lap belts very easy to do just un bolt the old ones bolt in new ones took 2mins, not sure if its legal but better than nothing.

And there isnt much difference to a double cab hilux but i used to have a discovery (pile of crap) and i sold it (got 6miles before the gearbox exploded :P) and my dad found me this cheap and only a student not much money, so i used my imagination made a couple of photoshops and thought id go for it.
    Hi it will be interesting to see what happens at your next M.O.T. i am sure a "K" reg should have 3 point seat belts, i was only asking because i like what you have done and i am thinking of doing the same if you dont mind me pinching 1 or 2 idea,s off you.
    Live Life To The Full

Comment

mot is in january i will post back when i go and tell you what happens!

Comment

If you think there would be a problem take the seats out before you go for the MOT no seats no belts needed!

Comment

very true! but i doubt i will have a problem with the mot if you get me

Comment

i dont know to be honest! there might be something in there that past a certain age the car should be fitted with a 3 point belts but sure someone in the know will come allong soon and put us right!! probably like most things depends on the mood the tester is in at the time!

Either way liking the look of the truck how long did it take you to do??

Comment

Excellent work on the conversion by the way, but I would just like to know why???

Is it to save weight?
              Will it now be registered/insured as a commercial vehicle and will you have to pay extra when crossing the Severn bridge into Wales? (10.60 instead of £5.30)

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Excellent work on the conversion by the way, but I would just like to know why???

Is it to save weight?
                Will it now be registered/insured as a commercial vehicle and will you have to pay extra when crossing the Severn bridge into Wales? (10.60 instead of £5.30)
                You know why "Mr quad cam V8 in a 2.4 Surf", because he can, like you! Stop be pendantic. Its great.

A pickup'ed Surf has all the comfort advantages of a Surf, with a usefullness of a pickup.

Bobtail it and it'll be the perfect offroad tool as far as bodywork goes.

As for the bridge thing, depends how they decide what you are, Linda's Surf always get charged Van rate on the M6 toll, because they measure the front bumper height or something as you approach. A stock Surf is car rates, a 6" lifted surf on 33's is a van. Dunno how your bridge works.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler View Post
                  i dont know to be honest! there might be something in there that past a certain age the car should be fitted with a 3 point belts but sure someone in the know will come allong soon and put us right!! probably like most things depends on the mood the tester is in at the time!

Either way liking the look of the truck how long did it take you to do??
                  Im good friends with my mot tester so... i will ask him actually next time i see him, not quite sure how long it took me but i had just finished college and i was working on it every day about 9 - 5 for a week ish maybe two?? something along them lines, deffinatly not something to do 'one weekend'

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

Is it to save weight?
                  I dont know why tbh just thought it would be fun and look cool lol definatly lost alot of weight when i had finally removed everything the back raised about an 1" id always wanted a hilux double cab and could nevery afford a nice one so i thought i would make my own and this way i dont have leaf springs

Havnt a clue about the bridge but i will find out in november as we are doing a trip to wales cant wait

and i havnt changed anything on any of the documents except the colour

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                    A pickup'ed Surf has all the comfort advantages of a Surf, with a usefullness of a pickup.

Indeed ive got all the goodies compaired to others i offroad with its luxury was really good until i removed the aircon but it would of got broken.

Originally posted by TonyN View Post

Bobtail it and it'll be the perfect offroad tool as far as bodywork goes.
                    I was going to bobtail it but then the buck would be so small it would be useless and i chuck my bike in there, ive only hit the buck once which hit the tow bar, compaired to a normal hilux i think the buck is shorter anyway..

Comment

Is that your dad's maserati? are you a millionair? and finally can i have some money
                      seriously tho you made a real good job there and your (dad's) workshop is
                      terriffic,
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                        Is that your dad's maserati? are you a millionair? and finally can i have some money
                        terriffic,
                        I'd kill for a proper workshop!

Somewhere to just get things done without the threat of rain!!

Got some carpets to lay down an the floor pan is a total bar$tard of a shape!
                        a warm garage with some decent lighting an work benches would make the job so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                          I'd kill for a proper workshop!

Somewhere to just get things done without the threat of rain!!

Got some carpets to lay down an the floor pan is a total bar$tard of a shape!
                          a warm garage with some decent lighting an work benches would make the job so much easier.
                          Know what you mean rod, at least i have a garage i can get the truck in and do work on it even though i have to be a bit of a contorsionist at times, my days of buggering about in the road and all weathers are over,

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom 18 View Post
                            I think you have done an amazing job there. Loving your conversion your workshop your bikes and your skill but can,t help thinking what is the difference between what you have done and a crew cab hilux pickup. Can somone explain please.
                            Surf has a shorter wheelbase. The wheelbase on pickups is maaaasive

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                              terriffic,
                              not quite a millionair no lol, i have about £40 to my name ye thats my dads maserati he bought it to sell on again but really likes it and wont sell it now lol, reason for the workshop is he used to own a garage and when he moved to that house that barn was there it had almost collapsed but he revived it and turned it into that, he still has all the tools etc from his garage so already had them and he got the lift very cheap aswell and then i invaded it

And maserati's arnt actually that expensive i have a link to my dads its on pistonheads, il find it... here ya go:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/364920.htm

its so damn fast its unreal puts a right grin on your face :P

Comment

Originally posted by Jackt360 View Post
                                not quite a millionair no lol, i have about £40 to my name ye thats my dads maserati he bought it to sell on again but really likes it and wont sell it now lol, reason for the workshop is he used to own a garage and when he moved to that house that barn was there it had almost collapsed but he revived it and turned it into that, he still has all the tools etc from his garage so already had them and he got the lift very cheap aswell and then i invaded it

And maserati's arnt actually that expensive i have a link to my dads its on pistonheads, il find it... here ya go:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/364920.htm

its so damn fast its unreal puts a right grin on your face :P
                                Awesome car, i can just imageine parking that round here, i'd never get a wink of sleep!

Comment

Working...
                                X