Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyre termoil. should i buy muds?

hey,

having tyre probs. currently driving with slick rear tyres, which is very exciting in the wet (wheelspin at 50mph), but cannot decide what to go for.

i'm totally broke too which doesn't help.

my head says to spend the extra on bfg at's as I know how versatile they are, and especially hardwearing, but their fooking expensive!

my heart says khumo kl71's. what are they like on road? how well do they wear?(i probably only do 6000-8000 miles a year). the bonus is the looks of them, definatly the price, plus the fact i'd have to start going offroad more often, it'd be rude not to!

opinions please.

Martin
    Just trying to raise my postcount!

Get A/Ts, muds will lower your mpg and wear quicker on the road. I have General Grabber AT2s and they will keep up with mud tyres off road (Unless it's up to the axles wet mud) and they'll be better if you encounter snow on the road.

Comment

yeah, that's what my head says. its there much difference between the general grabbers, and bfg's?

cheers,

martin

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts View Post
        yeah, that's what my head says. its there much difference between the general grabbers, and bfg's?

cheers,

martin
        Yeah, about 40 quid per tyre! The tread pattern is almost the same too.

Someone will be along shortly to defend their BFGs saying that they are the best tyre in the world though. ('cos thats what they told their missus when the credit card bill dropped through the letter box)hehehe!!

Comment

lol, i know they're a damn site cheaper, but i had bfg's on my last surf and they were great.

the main thing with the general grabbers, is whether they have the resistance to wearing as the bfg's, if so, i'll have the general grabbers no doubt.

cheers,

Martin

Comment

Just get down to your local tyre place and see what takes your fancy. Could never understand this obsession with brands personally. If I like the tyre, I get it. Couldn't give a toss what name is printed on the sidewall.

Comment

dont discount the kl71's completely.i have done 61000 miles on mine,and they are about 2/3 rd's worn down.they do need swapping about as part of the service spec,and i have had to swap mine over on the rims as they are(and this is their biggest dwnfall) directional.they have though ,and remain fantastic of road,with good on road manners,and not to noisy either
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

oh don't get me wrong. I couldn't care if it says "i wish i was driving a landrover" in big letters on the side of the tyre! i just want something hardwearing that performs well.

Martin

Comment

oh don't get me wrong. I couldn't care if it says "i wish i was driving a landrover" in big letters on the side of the tyre! i just want something hardwearing that performs well.
                  Well, on a more comparitive note, I have Kumho A/T's on the front and some nondescript full muds on the rear. Neither is outperforming or outwearing the other.

Comment

was i right in reading 61000 miles on kl71's?

i was expecting more like 20000 on a set of muds, which is what put me off. so long as they don't kill the mpg and handle ok on road, they might stil be in the running.

This has just given me more options, rather than narror them!

if its any cosolation, i've just found out that formula4 are only 45 mins from my house, plus the have bfg at's in 31" for £88 each. just emailed them to ask for a price for 4 fitted, as i'd be saving their delivery costs too!

Martin

Comment

what's them ones plumb bob's running? they look really nice, and they're a little more aggressive than most ATs without being quite a full on mud, they're well rated in the states and meant to be very hard wearing, i just can't remember what the damn things are called.
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

was i right in reading 61000 miles on kl71's?

i was expecting more like 20000 on a set of muds, which is what put me off. so long as they don't kill the mpg and handle ok on road, they might stil be in the running.

This has just given me more options, rather than narror them!

if its any cosolation, i've just found out that formula4 are only 45 mins from my house, plus the have bfg at's in 31" for £88 each. just emailed them to ask for a price for 4 fitted, as i'd be saving their delivery costs too!

Martin
                        i got them put on last year and the odometer read 90000 km.
                        as of just now,it reads 189980,so its now more like 625000 miles.they are very close to wanting to be changed,as the spare has about 12mm of tread and the ones on the car have about 4-5 mm left
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                          i got them put on last year and the odometer read 90000 km.
                          as of just now,it reads 189980,so its now more like 625000 miles.they are very close to wanting to be changed,as the spare has about 12mm of tread and the ones on the car have about 4-5 mm left
                          Erm don't we mean 62,500 miles dear mathematically challenged ?

Should we have another vote for you ?
                          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

what !!!!!

castigated for exuberance,why its like the salem witch hunt !!
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                              what's them ones plumb bob's running? they look really nice, and they're a little more aggressive than most ATs without being quite a full on mud, they're well rated in the states and meant to be very hard wearing, i just can't remember what the damn things are called.
                              Cooper SST?

Comment

Working...
                              X